Author Topic: The origins of Joseph NEVILLE (Harefield, Middx or Rickmansworth, Herts).  (Read 735 times)

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
The origins of Joseph NEVILLE (Harefield, Middx or Rickmansworth, Herts).
« on: Wednesday 19 February 20 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

This is a long shot and I may be barking up completely the wrong tree here, but I have to start somewhere...

My ancestor Joseph NEVILLE married Elizabeth WOODS in Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, in 1809. Their three children, Mary Ann (my ancestor), William and Ann were also baptised in Rickmansworth (in 1811, 1813 and 1815), but Mary Ann and Ann married in Harefield, Middlesex. (I cannot as yet find a marriage for William, but someone of that name was sentenced to be transported to Australia in 1837, which may be why I can't find one).

FindMyPast (I don't have a subscription) doesn't seem to have a baptism for a Joseph Neville (I'm searching the twenty years either side of 1785) in Hertfordshire, so I'm wondering if there is some kind of family link to Harefield (it seems that Ann, their youngest, was born in Middlesex). If he was from Middlesex, however, I can't seem to find a baptism. Is there something I might be overlooking or somewhere else I can search?

Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
BRK/OXF: Maskell, Waite, Ilsley, Harwood, Fuce, Lookman, Patey
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender
MDX/LDN/HRT: Seywell, Neville, Woods
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: The origins of Joseph NEVILLE (Harefield, Middx or Rickmansworth, Herts).
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi     

Don't forget that Rickmansworth/Harefield, and the local area, cross Middx/Herts/Bucks. So, you may need to widen the geographical area(s).     

Other "major towns" to include are Watford Uxbridge even St Albans?     
Suggest a brief look at the maps?     

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 February 20 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray

I've tried searching further afield, but haven't found any Joseph Nevilles who seem plausible. One possible line of enquiry might be the witnesses to Mary Ann's first wedding to the ill-fated William Jones (without whose death I wouldn't be here), Sarah Woods and Mary "Nevells" [sic]. I don't think it's unreasonable to hypothesise that this Mary might be either Joseph's sister or sister-in-law; if it's the latter, then if I can find a wedding, I'd then have the name of a hypothetical brother who I can search for.

Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey, Hobbs
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Godfrey, Stoneham, Percy, Lavender

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 February 20 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Where and when did Joseph die
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 February 20 11:43 GMT (UK) »
There's one bap Barking Essex 6 Mar 1778 with parents Henry and Elizabeth - did your Joseph die in 1840?

Do you know his occupation from the daughters marriages?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 February 20 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Where and when did Joseph die

Unfortunately, that's one of the things I'm having trouble finding out.

There's one bap Barking Essex 6 Mar 1778 with parents Henry and Elizabeth - did your Joseph die in 1840?

Do you know his occupation from the daughters marriages?

I don't at present know when or where he died, unfortunately. Plus, his daughters both married in 1835, so just slightly too early to be part of general registration. :(

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Just received Joseph and Elizabeth’s marriage record from Hertfordshire archives, but unfortunately it doesn’t really tell me much more than I already suspected...  :-\

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Joseph & Elizabeths marriage entry image is on FindMyPast but only indicates they were both of the parish and were bachelor/spinster. 

Have you established who the witnesses were, they don't appear to be regular church witnesses - Thomas Allen & Elizabeth Gristwood.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Have you established who the witnesses were, they don't appear to be regular church witnesses - Thomas Allen & Elizabeth Gristwood.

I thought I'd have a look at Elizabeth Gristwood first, given that it doesn't seem to be a very common name. If she was from Rickmansworth, she's the only Elizabeth Gristwood I can find, born in 1785 to John Gristwood and Ann Montague.

It's occurred to me that Joseph Neville may have been a Catholic, as many Nevilles were; it could be one reason why I can't seem to find a plausible baptism (unless there are huge gaps in the records, it seems that despite being "of this parish" at the time he got married, he wasn't baptised in Hertfordshire).

I have no idea where to find the Catholic baptism registers, though.