Author Topic: Does having boys or girls run in families? New study says it's down to chance.  (Read 756 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Here is an interesting story which I'm sure will create a lot of discussion.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/18/health/boys-girls-run-in-families-wellness-scn/index.html

Martin

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does having boys or girls run in families? New study says it's down to chance.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 February 20 12:53 GMT (UK) »
A very shallow article not worth reading in my opinion

(sorry about that Martin)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Does having boys or girls run in families? New study says it's down to chance.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 February 20 13:01 GMT (UK) »
"Some scientists think whether you're likely to have a girl or boy is inherited through the father, although nobody has identified a gene." I was under the impression that it was the male who decided whether the baby was a boy or a girl, given the whole XX / XY scenario. I can understand how a woman's hormones and other factors can affect a baby in utero but as far as genetic make-up goes, surely it is the man's ratio of male to female sperm that decides rate of male to female offspring?

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 February 20 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I have one Son
I was one of two male children
My father was one of six boys
my paternal Grandfather was one of three boys and one girl
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 February 20 13:35 GMT (UK) »
My Father's Family has far more females than males, he was the youngest and had three Sisters only one had a Son the other two both had girls...I have two Brothers both of whom had boys and their boys have produced boys. Myself and my Sister both have one of each, I have five Grandchildren four Granddaughters and one Grandson and My Sister has three Grandaughters and two Grandsons.
Random I think.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU