Author Topic: Palace Road Can Anyone Date This Photo?  (Read 418 times)

Offline peakoverload

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Palace Road Can Anyone Date This Photo?
« on: Friday 21 February 20 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Not strictly genealogy related but...

I grew up in Upper Norwood, London (Crystal Palace) and was always fascinated by it's history. I remember a primary school teacher taking us on a tour of the local area pointing out all the bits of local history from pillar boxes dating back to Queen Victoria to mysterious gates that still stood to long lost houses etc. As a result of this I've always collected anything related to the history of the area and the other day I spotted a glass negative photography of a road sadly much changed for the worse in the 1960's/70's. I bought this image and scanned it, converted it and repaired it but I'm trying to get an idea of the date it was taken.

In terms of the glass negative itself, whilst I am very much into photography my knowledge of formats before roll film is scant at best. The negative itself measures roughly 14cm x 9cm which makes me think it's more 'modern' as I believe some earlier ones were larger and with a different aspect ratio.

To me the womens cloths and that of the children make me think it's c1900 but I've found the Palace Store mentioned in the 1880's.

Any ideas?
Johnson: London & Maidstone
Foster: Essex
Leach: London
Jennings, Camberwell, London
Gray: South London
Dashwood: London
Mason: Maidstone & London
Neville/Stiff: Hampshire & USA

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Palace Road Can Anyone Date This Photo?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 February 20 22:55 GMT (UK) »
What a great find and a lovely image to have, I would say early 1900s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Palace Road Can Anyone Date This Photo?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 February 20 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Early 1900's was my first thought too.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos