Author Topic: Mary Ann Turner/Patterson  (Read 910 times)

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Turner/Patterson
« on: Tuesday 25 February 20 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello all

I confess straight away that this is a mystery of my own making.   A long time back I added something to my tree without keeping any details and now I'm lost and can't find the record again.  I hope someone can help sort out my self-inflicted mess.

My 3 x great grandparents Robert Patterson and Mary (McCartney) had a daughter called Elizabeth born in Aberlady on 22nd August 1829.
In 1841 she is with the family in Aberlady.
In 1851 she is absent, there are two possible Elizabeths in service in other nearby towns.
In 1861 she is back at home, daughter of the head of household, a laundress aged 30 (mistranscribed as 50 by Ancestry) and with a child called Mary Ann Turner aged 5 described as granddaughter.
In 1871 Elizabeth is still in the family home,  unmarried and with a child called Mary Ann Patterson aged 15.

On my tree I have Mary Ann Turner born 26th October 1855, Aberlady,.  I have no idea where I found this exact birth date   ???  and no idea where the surname Turner came from.
Can anyone find Mary Ann's baptism or birth?
Many thanks!

Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Turner/Patterson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 19:15 GMT (UK) »
There is a Select Birth/Baptism record on the Ancestry website - a transcription - with Mary Anne Turner born 26 Oct 1855, Aberlady.

Shows a father Richard Turner and a mother Elizabeth Paterson. FHL Film number 6035516.

Might that be what you have seen?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk has the birth registration of Mary Anne Paterson, other surname Turner, in Aberlady in 1855. Reference Births Aberlady 1855/702/28.

As the birth has been indexed under both surnames, the father's surname was most likely Turner. The birth certificate will tell you his full name.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much.
I feel a bit silly not finding this myself.
Note to self - remember to record things properly in future   ;D

Bev
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Bev -- you can order the birth certificate from Scotlands People -- website given by Forfarian.

If you aren't a member you would need to join first and purchase a few units - then spend some on viewing the birth cert - you will see it immediately and can print it. (Please forgive me if you know this already) -- but it's very easy and you will have the actual certificate - it will only mean you using 6 units (I think!)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 08:05 GMT (UK) »
I's also indexed on FamilySearch, which might be where you first saw it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 February 20 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, both.
I probably won't bother ordering the cert as Elizabeth is not my direct ancestor.  Her brother William was my great great grandfather.
I don't think that Richard Turner is a very common Scottish name and I've found a likely culprit in the area without too much trouble.  Not very long after Mary Anne's birth he had married another girl also called Elizabeth   ::)

Bev
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.