Author Topic: Anyone up for a Challenge?  (Read 3957 times)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone up for a Challenge?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 February 20 23:50 GMT (UK) »

Added: Edith must have married after 1905 as the sender addressed Edith as Miss Edith Wooff  :-\
Carol

Edith was born Thornton, she married Joseph Woof in 1901, so by 1905 when the postcard was sent she was Edith Woof  ;D

Joseph Woof married Edith Ellen Thornton Dec Q 1901 Holbeck, 9b 580.

Edith's brother who died in WW1 was Robert Wilfred Thornton b 1884 Leeds - I am trying to prove/disprove that he was the post card writer.  His WW1 service record gives Edith Woof as his half sister, which may fit with the line on the postcard "Tell your mother I will be sending her a proper photo as soon as I can get time to do one".  Maybe they had the same father but different mother.

I am still trying to fathom out this complicated family.

Ignore my first posts #13 and #14 with Edith Woof and Joseph Stephenson in the same household - I think they are the wrong family.

EDIT.  AAAAHGGGGGGHHHH.  MISS Edith Wooff - I'm with you now.  Hmmm, back to the drawing board  :-\
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 February 20 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Aw never mind Jool...thanks for looking...I think your first one is most likely to be right. I have found a couple of trees with her in, and Mother's maiden name was Gates but no other info confirmed for Edith  after 1911 yet.
It's odd that the postcard is just address as Forcett  Darlington
Still looking.

Added:

Marriages Jun 1914
Beck    James    Wooff    Hereford    6a   1219    
Heiron    Alban    Jones    Hereford    6a   1219    
Jones    Mabel E    Heiron    Hereford    6a   1219    
Wooff    Edith    Beck    Hereford    6a

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 February 20 14:55 GMT (UK) »
So many things seem right about family of Edith born to Richard and Sarah,except Ernest dying in 1903.However,he was with the Neashams in 1901(William and Jane nee Gates,sister to Sarah),and was employed on the railways(is that a railwayman's hat in the portrait.Is  the person portrayed 19 or less?).Perhaps he had a number of portrait postcards done and one of the Neashams used it in 1905 to communicate with Ernest's family.
(I don't think it is a photo of one of the Neashams)

Regards
Roger

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 February 20 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger....Thanks for your interesting comments and a Railway worker is something that I had considered too, but thought his jacket would have had a badge or collar tags but not sure.
The link to the Gates Family does seem like an idea to follow up. I cannot however find her as Edith Beck in 1939 nor can I find a death for her before that date  ::) I did a high res. scan of the hatband but it gives no clues.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 February 20 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Edith Beck is a widow in Herefordshire in 1939.From memory her parents Richard and Sarah were
in that county in 1911.

Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 February 20 16:43 GMT (UK) »
There is a 1968 Hereford death record and equivalent probate record wich would match also.

Roger

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 February 20 16:59 GMT (UK) »
That's great Roger....thanks so much for your input, it's very much appreciated :-*...I only looked on Ancestry for the 1939 register but have FindMyPast on the ipad but OH was hogging it  ::) ;D ;D
I will check it out.
Carol

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 28 February 20 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Do you think this railway pocket watch fob looks a similar shape to the one the gentleman in the photo is wearing?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-solid-silver-fusee-railway-894616205
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 28 February 20 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes,it looks similar,but I can't get enough detail to be certain.

Roger