Author Topic: Anyone up for a Challenge?  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone up for a Challenge?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 February 20 16:44 GMT (UK) »
The easiest way was to print it out and turn it around while reading. But I'd advise you (or someone else) to check I've got it right!

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 February 20 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Cross-hatched writing also presented a problem  :)  Back in the days when our ancestors migrated, paper and postage were expensive, so they made the most of both.  No need for any work on this - just an example.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 February 20 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Cross-hatched writing also presented a problem  :)  Back in the days when our ancestors migrated, paper and postage were expensive, so they made the most of both.  No need for any work on this - just an example.

I've seen that before on war time letters....I'm pleased about that BB  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 February 20 18:05 GMT (UK) »
The easiest way was to print it out and turn it around while reading. But I'd advise you (or someone else) to check I've got it right!

Good tip Bookbox  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 February 20 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Now to find her  ;D ;D
Carol

This could be Edith in 1891 in West Witton, Yorkshire.  There is a boarder called Joseph Stephenson with them.

Richard Wooff, head, b 1863, Whorlton, Yorkshire
Sarah Wooff, wife, b 1859, Forcett, Yorkshire
Ernest Wooff, son, b 1884, Gainford, Durham
Edith Wooff, daur, b 1887, Staindrop, Durham
Joseph Stephenson, boarder, b 1890, Newcastle, Northumberland

The family can be followed in 1901 in Romanby, Northallerton, Joseph Stephenson still with them, Ernest not there. Also 1911 in Brampton Brian, Herefordshire, Joseph and Ernest not with them.

EDIT. Ernest is with Uncle and Aunt, William and Jane Neasham in 1901 in Thornaby.  Ernest died in 1903 so he is not the letter writer.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 February 20 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Richard Wooff was a woodman in 1891, and a game keeper in 1901 and 1911.  Maybe he was working at Forcett Hall and the family lived in the grounds of the Hall when the postcard was sent in 1905.  (Assuming this is the correct family   ??? ;D )
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 February 20 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Aw that's really interesting Jool, it certainly looks like the right Family. I thought he looked like he could be a chauffeur, did you notice the ring on the little finger of his left hand? It looks as though it is a shield. I am intrigued as to who the letter writer is. I thought there were initials after the word sincerely, but now I think it is two kisses. Thanks for taking the time to search for them  :D
Carol

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 February 20 20:23 GMT (UK) »
I wondered what sort of cap it was, you may be right about chauffeur.

However, I think the family I posted earlier may not be the right one  ::)

I am working on a new theory based on this marriage:
Joseph Woof married Edith Ellen Thornton Dec Q 1901 Holbeck, 9b 580.

Also a newspaper announcement from the Yorkshire Evening Post 12 November 1918.
"THORNTON - Killed in action Oct 11 1918, Serg. R.W. Thornton, West Yorks. From his only sister Edith Woof"

Note, only one F in Woof.

I have to go now to do some boring stuff, be back later.  If anyone else wants to follow this up in the meantime please do.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 February 20 22:42 GMT (UK) »
That's a great bit of sleuthing Jool..... I will delve a bit more tomorrow to see if there is a Hull connection where the photo ended up. I appreciate you spending time to help me to find the family. Your input is much appreciated as always
 :-*
Added: Edith must have married after 1905 as the sender addressed Edith as Miss Edith Wooff  :-\
Carol