Author Topic: Rev John Maclean, minister of Killean, Kintyre born c1670?  (Read 5757 times)

Offline diamondsue1967

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev John Maclean, minister of Killean, Kintyre born c1670?
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 27 April 22 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Douglas,

Following up on your question about whether MacLean Sinclair included annotations regarding the Achnasaul/Grisipol MacLeans who went to Ireland - unfortunately there are none beyond noting that Donald of Gunna was called "Donald Dubh".  I shall keep an eye out for Irish references in my research tho, as its an interesting element to the history.

Kind regards. Suzanne

Offline Douglas McLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 30 July 22 02:25 BST (UK) »
Reply to Diamond Sue:

Forgive the long delay in responding to this. The only John Maclean who would qualify as an Auchnasaul Maclean of whom I am aware is John, son of Hector, 2nd laird of Auchnasaul. Maclean-Sinclair identifies him as "John Og in Auchnasaul -Mull" (From Clan to Regiment, p. 710) and indicates he is referred to in documents (unidentified) dated 1661 and 1692 (Table 7). He may be one of the descendants of Hector who Sinclair states went to Ireland (p. 397). I am working on the theory that he was the John McLean who was in Antrim as of 1709 and  was a member of the Antrim Presbyterian congregation - my 7x great grandfather.

Although Sinclair identifies Hector's brother Donald and his issue as the Macleans of Auchnasaul, they descended from them and lived on Gunna, Coll and Rum. (The Auchnasaul Macleans were limited to Allan, Hector and Donald (Hector'sson), 1st, 2nd and 3rd lairds respectively. Donald drowned in 1687 and the cadet expired.) Since Sinclair treats Hector's brother Donald and his issue as the Macleans of Auchnasaul, he may be referring to Donald's grandson John as the "John Maclean of Auchnasaul" who married Una. That John served under Lachlan Maclean of Coll in the Scots Brigade in the 1680s. (Clan, p. 201).

Hope this helps, sue.
Douglas McLean

Offline Douglas McLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 30 July 22 02:32 BST (UK) »
Correction:
The author misidentified in my last as "Maclean-Sinclair" is Nicholas Maclean-Bristol. Apologies.

Offline jaspershep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 18:51 BST (UK) »
has anyone come across Rev John Maclean minister of Killean, Kintyre, married Annie McNeill daughter of Lachlan McNeill of Lossit House?

I would be very interested to know anything about the family and their children; what happened to them all and whether there is any written information to be found.

Does anyone have access to a long out of print book 'The Macleans of Borreray?'

There was another Rev John Maclean who was Minister of Killean. He was born about 1694 at Kilmoluaig Island of Tyree, s/o Charles "Tearlach MacNeill Ban" Maclean & Florence Maclean. Charles' father Neil was 7th of Boreray.
Rev John was married abt 1729 to Ann McNeill d/o Hector McNeill of Losset, their son Charles born c1731 Killean. Rev John died 17 Jun 1743 at Killean.  He was probably buried in the old part of Killean Cemetery, not far from Muasdale.
Source A History of the Clan Maclean p274

Offline bagpipe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 01 October 22 19:14 BST (UK) »
Fasti Ecclesiae vol 4 p60

John M'Lean a native of Mull s of Charles M'Neil Ban M. ord. 8 May 1728 d 17 June 1743 married Anne d of Hector McNeil of Lossit. she died June 1767 and had issue Charles, Florence- (Clan MacLean).

Same person and if so, who is right?
McLean, Ireland and Campbeltown
McConnachy Gigha and Killean

Offline jaspershep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 02 October 22 01:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, same Rev John, except he wasn't a native of Mull if he was born at Kilmoluaig in Tyree. His wife was Ann McNeill but was she dau of Hector or Lachlan?
John appears to have been the youngest son, his eldest brother Donald "Fear Chilmoluthaig" was Factor of Brolas, later Tacksman of Kilmoluaig. Donald's son Archibald born c1734 is recorded as Tacksman of Kilmoluaig. Source NMB, "Chart of Children and Grandchildren of Charles MacNeil Ban" 2nd Jul 2013.
Rev John's parents were natives of Mull, but he was born at Hynish Tyree.