Author Topic: Naming Practices of Scotland  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Practices of Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 10:43 GMT (UK) »
The naming tradition was exactly that - a tradition. You didn't have to name your children according to a rigid set of rules, but many families did follow the tradition (and some still do).

The tradition could be quite simple (as illustrated above) or more complex - in my family, by the early twentieth century, it had evolved to the point where a child was christened with 4 names derived from all four grandparents (I myself carry the names of 3 of mine, only my "given" name is not derived from a grandparent.)

Other names could be used - the practice of naming a child after the local laird is very common, indeed taking the name of the local clan chief is the origin of the vast majority of people living today who carry clan names. Again this practice is still extant - except nowadays it is more likely that a child will be named for a celebrity than a patron or land lord.

As for cases where both parents' parents had the same name, I have at least one instance where, both grandmothers being Janet, the first daughter is named Janet and the second daughter Jessie (a diminutive of Janet). Both girls lived to have children of the own (and funnily enough, both have a daughter named Janet). In another case, the first daughter takes the full name of the mother's mother, whilst the second daughter has the original maiden name of the father's mother as a middle name. And yet another case where the second daughter simply skipped on to the mother's name.

Remembering the naming tradition can help with identifying family groups, but never make the mistake of assuming it is cast iron proof. Just because the first son is named William and the second daughter Agnes does NOT by any means guarantee that the father's parents were William and Agnes. (They probably were, but it isn't proof.)
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Albufera,  I take your point...it certainly is no proof of the parents/grandparents names.   Thanks for a very interesting comment.  I too in a post written at the same time you were writing mentioned the possibility of naming a child after a Laird etc.
In my mothers case (from England) she was just given a first name and this was followed by her mothers name and then her grandmother's name.  I am glad we stopped that idea before I was named!!!  Maybe this was an English tradition.  Does anyone know about English traditions?

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 11:18 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather had a Black Sheep called Malky. And that's not "Baahhh humbug".

Malky.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 13:12 GMT (UK) »
This always supposes that there hadn't been a family rift!!

I wonder what happened when a child was illegitimate and didn't have an 'official' father. (I am just putting a spoke in the wheel now - so just ignore me - but I have wondered about this before).
Normal rules didn't apply.

An illegitimate child with a middle name is very often named after its father, but not often enough for it to be a 100% reliable indicator :(
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I suppose traditional naming patterns saved a decision making process about the given name to allocate to your expected child.

It reminds me of a series of autographical books by Beverley Nichols, who loved cats -- he named his cats by the number in which he obtained them -- hence they were called 'One', 'Two', 'Three' and so on! Hence no decisions to make!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 14:17 GMT (UK) »
As a child I recall my father stating the Scots were peculiar in that they would even give a child the name of the local doctor. In he case of my father - he gave us, his children, the names of our older cousins .... and it took me a long time to find out, as I didn't know oldest cousin Dennis had a middle name of Gordon and Gordon is the name of one of my brothers

My Other Half and I have Scottish heritage and where there's more than three male or female siblings, the net child is named after the parents oldest brother/sister.  My uncle Allan Cameron Mackenzie Crum was given that name by his father in remembrance of his younger brother who died in the 1860s on the operating table.  That younger brother was also given the name in remembrance of an earlier Allan Cameron Mackenzie who died in the 1840s.   I haven't yet discovered who the original Allan Cameron (Mackenzie) was, I'm guessing it was possibly an earlier relative or clan member who perished in a skirmish.

My gt. grandfather named two of his children in favour of the local "rich" family members, who (from records) obviously never had children of their own, but their name would carry on down the ages.   One couple had so many children up in Abereenshire that I discovered the pair had obviously named one of their sons in favour of a local ship's captain who lived next door to the family (ahem).   I found that where one of the parents was from  low working class stock, the couple's children would usually bear the names of the richer family.  Then there's the estate/farming family where there's only a daughter to inherit the estate/farm, qhite often the will stipulates the groom has to change his surname.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rena for your reflections

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Penniness, It might save. having to think of a name for your child but it is a nightmare trying to find out what branch of the tree to follow when so many cousins have the same name.  thanks for your reply

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 12:40 GMT (UK) »
This always supposes that there hadn't been a family rift!!

I wonder what happened when a child was illegitimate and didn't have an 'official' father. (I am just putting a spoke in the wheel now - so just ignore me - but I have wondered about this before).

My 3x grt grandmother was a widow when my grt grt grandfather was born and had been for 19 (nineteen) months.  He had his Dad's first name, Dad's surname as middle name and started as his mum's surname but took on the surname of his older half siblings.  Based on family correspondence it appears he was very bitter towards his Dad yet his Grandson was still given the name  (full name including surname).  I have concluded that my family was particularly rigid in following naming traditions.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others