Author Topic: Thomas Stephenson Muir  (Read 1391 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Stephenson Muir
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 March 20 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I did a quick bit of research and found a Mary Mitchell marrying a Thomas Stevenson on 20 March 1849 not 1848 but unfortunately prior to 1855 there were no official records required so this could be coincidental.

Was that man a cooper by trade? It might help id him as the man in America.

And I totally agree with this thought:
I am sure many of us have found errors in other trees on Ancestry and sadly there will always be people who just blindly copy things without checking before adding it to their tree. Personally I have stopped pointing errors out because you rarely get a response even though I have offered to prove it.

I keep my tree on my computer and on my own website, but nowhere that other people can edit it.
It's just not worth the trouble trying to fix other people's mistakes all the time.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 March 20 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Mary M Muir appears on the Minnesota Obituary Index - didn't see anything for Thomas.

https://www.ironrangeresearchcenter.org/details/8/96020/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 March 20 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Minnesota Wills and Probate.........

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 March 20 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Didn't see an obit for Thomas Muir. I check the Winona papers for the 4 days after his death 17 Oct 1886, thinking the OCR software search might have missed him if his name was fuzzy or the paper was in poor condition, but didn't see anything. The paper was only 4 pages back then.

Did see his wife Mary's obit in 1900 (same as one posted on Find A Grave).

His name and son Archie are mentioned in some articles prior to 1886.

There is a very complete database of the Winona newspapers that is available online for free.

https://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/APA/Winona/#panel=home

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 March 20 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sandra for all of the information, I will pass this on. I did respond to the user yesterday and suggested an Archibald Muir and a Janet Stephenson were noted as parents for a Thomas Muir in 1822 and suggested she follow this route but there was no guarantee it was correct. The problem is she keep adding it to the Family Search Tree and i have removed it a couple of times. She just needed a bit of help and I have tried to give her some clues with regard to the christian names of his children following a family route. Apparently she is very new to researching and I couldnt help any further with UK records and thought US records may provide a clue. Thank you again for your recommendations.
kind regards.
Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 March 20 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your response RJ137 - I have forwarded the information to the user. The obituary of Mary Mitchell gives her date of birth and area in Scotland that she lived. Thank you again.

Lang, Campbell, Proudfoot, Bell, More, Macguigan, McAlinden, Young, Hyman, Hayman, Hyndman, McMillan

Offline brussells1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 March 20 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you oldohiohome.

kind regards