Author Topic: New PC - help with docs transferred from old PC  (Read 1194 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
New PC - help with docs transferred from old PC
« on: Friday 06 March 20 15:40 GMT (UK) »
I have finally replaced my 10 yr old PC with a new one.

I got someone to transfer my old docs to the new machine but have hit a snag. The chap who set it all up for me has loaded Apache Open Office which is a new one on me. I've just made amendments to an old document and have received a message saying I need to activate Word (all my old docs are in Word) before 9 March or - presumably - lose access to the old docs.

When I clicked on 'activate' I have to open a Microsoft account and it seems that I have to pay for the privilege! I never had to subscribe to it on the old PC! It doesn't mention a cost.

I'm hoping someone will advise me what to do. Can I 'convert' my several old Word docs to function under Open Office - or am I snookered?

Trying not to panic, Mr Mainwaring!!!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New PC - help with docs transferred from old PC
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 March 20 15:57 GMT (UK) »

No....Apache Open Office should still open them!

To be on safe side, if you don't have a vast amount of Docs is to make one tiny change to each and Save As  .odt 

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 March 20 15:58 GMT (UK) »
There now effectively two forms of Microsoft Office/ Word etc.

Office 365 is in effect a subscription service. Office 2016 is still a standalone program on your computer.

The chances are your new comp has preinstalled a copy of Office 365, which is what it is asking you to "activate" but you can still install the standalone version. (There is also Office 2010 which is still extant, but Microsoft are ceasing support for it at the end of this year).

Word docs should still open using Open Office - essentially microsoft have simply preconfigured your comp to default to the pay option (ie 365). Try right clicking on the files - it should open a menu with "Open with ..." as an option, and that should include the Apache Open Office, which I assume is free.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 March 20 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

I've figured out how to open a doc with Open Office but not how to save as such.

Is Microsoft the same as MSN?  The chap who set my PC up for me has installed Chrome which I am using for the first time and seem to be getting along with okay, but he also installed Firefox (my old browser) just in case. However, when I tried to open that, up shot an MSN news window and a message that I need to install an updated version of Firefox and they will help me to do so!!

Fortunately, my PC chap is going to pop round on Monday so I can stop panicking.

Thanks for the help.

I may return!!

HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

guest189040

« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 March 20 16:23 GMT (UK) »
When you buy a new PC they are loaded with what is termed Bloatware, sort of not so useful software that just add to the time it takes for the PC to boot up, they consume resources be being resident in memory and because they are installed the use up hard drive space.

I am surprised that the person setting up your PC did not remove these unnecessary items of software as for Chrome that is a terrible thing to install, it is the worst browser, it clogs up your computer, installs addons that are not needed and can even install additional security products that again clog up your PC.  This is what is happening with the MSN pop up, so get your PC guy to remove it, to use Ccleaner to remove all traces of Chrome and Bloatware and to cleanup the Registry.  If the guy says anything to the contrary, find another PC guy as this one knows diddly squat.

As has been said Apache will open your Word docs the problem being the File Association defaults to office products and whilst the Open With method works it is not a permanent solution.

Using File Explorer navigate to one of your Word Documents, a single left click on it to select it then right click for the pop up menu, in this menu select Properties.

Once the Properties Window opens you will see Open With displayed together with which programme is the default one it uses.

From the adjacent drop down menu select Open With then choose Apache, then click on Apply at the bottom right.

Then Apache will be the default programme.

Do the same for Excel Documents.

Again this is what your so called PC guy should have done.

I have been two days cleaning up a friends Laptop after he made a complete hash of it with software and failed updates.

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 March 20 16:24 GMT (UK) »
MSN = Microsoft News (I think)

Lots of spurious notifications of things it thinks you should be interested in, sprinkled with lots of ads
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 March 20 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

I've figured out how to open a doc with Open Office but not how to save as such.

File > Save As

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 March 20 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Hallmark, it wasn't so much the how to 'save as' but the .odt bit. I think I've got there. As suggested, I selected one of my old Word docs, changed a tiny bit then saved in Open Office as .odt and now I have them both in my Docs file so presumably can now open the second one in Open Office and update it or alter it whenever I want.

I think I'm slowly getting there. You people who know all about these techy things have no idea how intimidating it all is to those of us who do not!

Thanks for your help and advice.
HELP!!!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 March 20 17:39 GMT (UK) »

Been there myself when I changed over but all my documents opened in OpenOfiice OK. with no problems.

I'm not going to say yours definitely will which is why I suggested one tiny change and Save As  .odt