Author Topic: Amazon Prime Music  (Read 1353 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Amazon Prime Music
« on: Friday 06 March 20 16:29 GMT (UK) »
I subscribe to Amazon Prime and they're forever emailing me to tell me I'm not taking advantage of Amazon Music which is supposedly included in the sub. My understanding is that its not free (you have to pay per tune downloaded) and also that you can't sync it to an ipod. Am I right?

It hasn't bothered me up until now as my PC was too old even to continue buying tunes from iTunes. I'm hoping to resume downloading now I've finally got a new PC and I'm on Windows 10.

Obviously, I'd prefer to download from Amazon Prime if its free but can't seem to establish if it is actually free?

I'm wondering if anyone else has experience of Amazon Music via Amazon Prime and can enlighten me?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Prime Music
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 March 20 16:32 GMT (UK) »
The basic service (2 million songs) is free for Prime members. See https://www.amazon.com/primeinsider/music/set-up-music.html
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 March 20 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, ShaunJ.

That link was really an Amazon promo. It still doesn't tell me if I can download onto an ipod. I suspect not, as its an Apple device rather than an Amazon one.

I wonder if you can download a tune to your computer (as the link says) and then save it into your iTunes?
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 March 20 19:19 GMT (UK) »
There's an Amazon Music app that works with Prime Music, but I don't know if it would work on your iPod:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GJKJHHFA4R6JXB7M

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/amazon-music/id510855668

Amazon say that purchased music can be downloaded to a computer and then transferred to iTunes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GXNQGT728XSYTHPY

But from looking at some of the Help pages at Amazon, it seems this may not apply to Prime music since it's more about streaming using a subscription model. (The iOS app does say it lets you download music to listen to offline, but it looked to me as though it couldn't be saved outside the app.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 March 20 20:51 GMT (UK) »
You can set the preferences in the Amazon Music App to save "Downloaded" music directly to itunes -

Unfortunately like many aspects of Amazon Prime it is extremely limited and so called "Downloaded" Music can only be transferred if then purchased at that point it can be transferred to iTunes.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 March 20 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry should have included this screen shot (you can get to these settings by clicking on your account name in the App and then selecting preferences

guest189040

« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 March 20 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I hope you understand what a streaming service is, but if you and others do not know a brief explanation. 

Streaming music is where each song, album or collection is held on a remote server and you select what you want played and the order in which you want it played.  You then play the Playlist you have created or select a Playlist that others have created and you then listen to the music over an internet connection, no download takes place.  Mainly these streaming services are via a subscription but some may offer limited free access.

Amazon Prime Music is a free streaming service, limited in quantity, where you do not buy the music you simply play it on your computer, tablet, Alexa device or phone.

If you buy some music you can download it and save it to wherever you want and iTunes would not be my first choice since I do not want it downloading so it only plays with iTunes.  That said you do not need
Prime membership to buy and download music.

Then Amazon also have the subscription based service Prime Music Unlimited which is again not intended for downloads it is for streaming.

You also get Prime Video where there are thousands of shows, sports events (ATP Tennis), movies available to watch.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 March 20 12:45 GMT (UK) »
I hope you understand what a streaming service is, but if you and others do not know a brief explanation. 

I understand perfectly what a streaming service is HOWEVER Amazon make claims which are at best misleading in that as part of the service they claim you can "Download" the music to listen offline. While technically true it is only part of the story in that they require a purchase of any downloaded music before it is available offline or on any other device not connected to their service.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 March 20 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, it all sounds just as ambiguous as I thought!

I'm still a bit at sea with my new PC - the built-in speakers in my screen are very tinny so I glibly thought I'd unplug the audio connection (green plug - right?) and plug in my ancient TINY speakers (from my very first PC) which I used with my last PC (Acer). No probs plugging them in, except I had to swap them round as the one with the connector was too far away from the plughole!

When I tried to play something through them I got a message 'iTunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration. Audio/video playback may not operate properly.' It doesn't! I know the speakers are on okay as I can hear them humming.

Is there somewhere I should be clicking to get the TINY ones 'accepted' - like you have to if you change printers etc? I've looked but can't find anything. Otherwise, its looking like I shall have to resort back to the tinny inbuilt speakers!
HELP!!!