Author Topic: Where is/was Slackwaite Chapel, Almondbury, Yorkshire?  (Read 540 times)

Offline gwrayner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is/was Slackwaite Chapel, Almondbury, Yorkshire?
« on: Sunday 08 March 20 17:45 GMT (UK) »
When I browse the images in the Ancestry dataset "West Yorkshire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1512-1812" for the parish Almondbury, All Hallows I can see there are records for several different chapelries. One of the chapelries looks like "Slackwaite". I thought this might be another name from Slaithwaite but those records are listed in "Slaithwaite with East Scammonden, St James" and do not appear to be the same.

I'm just trying to understand where Slackwaite Chapel was exactly.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2256/32355_248864-00164/3736426?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdbid%3d2256%26gsfn%3dWilliam%26gsln%3dSykes%26gsfn_x%3dNN%26gsln_x%3dNP_NN%26cp%3d0%26msydy%3d1793%26hc%3d50%26new%3d1%26rank%3d1%26uidh%3d28i%26redir%3dfalse%26msT%3d1&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults&queryId=7078255c69d472390093884857b44369

Any assistance appreciated.

Regards,

Gavin Rayner

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is/was Slackwaite Chapel, Almondbury, Yorkshire?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 March 20 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Could it actually be Linthwaite?

Chapelries in Almondbury Parish:
Hanley, Linthwaite, Lockwood, Marsden, Meltham, Nether Thong and South Crosland.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 March 20 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the baptisms for Slaithwaite with East Scammonden, St James many do appear to be duplicates of those of Slackwaite

Kay

Offline daveyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 21:19 GMT (UK) »
The township of Slaithwaite (technically in the wider parish of Huddersfield rather than Almondbury) has some unusual spellings in historical documents, partly because the modern spelling doesn't match the old pronunciation. Most locals say "Slawit". Similarly, Linthwaite is often referred to as "Linfit".

Lingarths (or Lingards) was a separate small township that was in the wider parish of Almondbury. It was sparsely populated and was part of the chapelry of Slaithwaite (i.e. residents of Lingarths would have attended the chapel at Slaithwaite as they had no chapel in their own township). It was eventually amalgamated into Slaithwaite civil parish in the 1890s.