Author Topic: New Fishbourne/Bosham  (Read 463 times)

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A bit of old Blarney castle
    • View Profile
New Fishbourne/Bosham
« on: Wednesday 11 March 20 15:54 GMT (UK) »

I have child Joseph buried in New Fishbourne nr Chichester 10 Nov 1782 the parents were William
   Woodman and radigan Woodman ne Randall, but so far no birth/bp has been found, the pr records
   Joseph as being from Bosham when the family were there I assume, but no birth record found.

mick

Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.
Atkinson...N-Yorks.    Irvine... Sothern England
Cook...glouc/shire.    Alderton... Thingoe/Suffolk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: New Fishbourne/Bosham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 17:59 GMT (UK) »
How old was the child?  If it died very soon after birth there may not have been a baptism
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 March 20 02:43 GMT (UK) »
James WOODMAN, son of William and Radigan was baptised the same day (10 Nov 1782) that "Joseph" was buried at New Fishbourne. I would suggest that they are probably the same child, with possibly a mistranscription.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 March 20 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Oh, possibly not. Now I see another James bap 28 Jun 1780 but "received into the church" on 10 Nov 1782.  ???

But if he was already baptised (and received into the church later) why would there be another record of another baptism? Something strange going on here.  :-\

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A bit of old Blarney castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 March 20 08:40 GMT (UK) »

Hi all, thanks for the replies, the recording in the pr of 'received into the church' i understand
 means the child has been buried, i have seen this written a few times before and so far it shows
 the child has been buried, as this Joseph record is in the burial listing as the others were, the
 BP time and date were very important for some religious reason, so Joseph may have died more
 or less the same day, in those's days it would seem the record in the pr was only as good as
 the clergy recording it and for some reason was taken to Fishbourne to be buried, might be a
 good idea to put it up as a new 'subject' so others more knowledgeable in that area might know.
  thanks any way..

Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.
Atkinson...N-Yorks.    Irvine... Sothern England
Cook...glouc/shire.    Alderton... Thingoe/Suffolk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 March 20 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Being "received into the church" doesn't have anything to do with burial. Usually it follows a private baptism (often in the case of a sick child who is not expected to live, though not always). There is lots of discussion about it on RootsChat - use the search function to find some.  :D

I might be wrong, but I think in this case there was a child James, privately baptised in 1780 and received into the church in 1782. I'm not sure if there was another child baptised on the same day (unlikely to also be called James) and another named Joseph buried on the same day. But does it seem likely that "Joseph" was baptised and buried on the same day? Not sure.  :-\