Author Topic: state of emergency  (Read 7559 times)

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: state of emergency
« Reply #153 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Seriously, confining the elderly like that for such a period simply cannot work. Yet again someone near No 10 simply hasn't yet mastered joined-up thinking!

What is the alternative?

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:07 GMT (UK) »
None of the above will cure the latest health scare , but I do wonder as we have used antibiotics irresponsibly , gone overboard with cleanliness and sophisticated products and has that lowered our resistance?

Not in this case, but resistance to antibiotics is another fundamental health issue that needs to be tackled going forward.

The fundamental issue with COVID-19 (and future coronaviruses) is the way we have become a connected world with people being able to travel cheaply, freely and quickly all over the place.

Going forward we should expect restrictions to be placed on long-distance air travel, not just because of the environmental impact is has, but also because of its ability to spread illness around the globe in a matter of hours.

With your comments above in mind the Spanish Flu in 1918 was classed as ' a global pandemic ' the travel in those days was certainly not the same as now and yet it spread world wide killing millions. So how did it spread worldwide?

I accept that it is easy to get all around the world today and in my opinion flights everywhere should have been grounded with only those needing to return back to their own countries flying then put into isolation for 14 days and all borders closed it might have contained the virus to more manageable levels.

Now we - the world - are faced with global recession, companies going out of business, jobs being lost, etc etc.when perhaps a little more cooperation between countries could have helped avoid these drastic measures.

Reading in The Sunday Times travel section today the editorial written on the first pages talks about companies offering holidays for next year so people won't cancel and claim on their insurances and keeping the money within those travel companies.
Then it's being said that many travel companies/airlines will go to the wall and when this is all over those that have survived will be increasing prices because there will be a huge demand and not enough options to choose from. I had steam coming out of my ears and am seriously thinking of writing to the paper to say how irresponsible I think they are at a time like this when families have lost their holidays to be seen to be profiteering from people's misery....

Sorry I feel quite strongly about this! Rant over now....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:07 GMT (UK) »
That's a good point Rosie -- although for people registered with them, you would think we might be sent an email explaining current situation (I do realise and sympathise with how busy these organisations will be with queries though.)

I think there are emails on the way out to customers already.

I got a generic one from the CEO of Sainsbury's earlier this afternoon asking me not to panic buy and reassuring me that additional stock is on its way.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:12 GMT (UK) »
This assumption that the over 70's have an underlying condition is a bit wide of the mark. There are parts of the country where a man over 60 is a bit of a novelty & saves this government a fortune in pensions. Over 70's tend to be a bit savvy in the health stakes and want their moneys worth. Now, the WASPI women!!!

Skoosh.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I had an e-mail from Sainsbury's this morning. Nothing from Waitrose although I'm registered with them as well.

Note that it is the Ides of March today (15th).
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:24 GMT (UK) »
I have not had an email from Sainsburys but do have a delivery booked.  Just looked at W'rose and they have slots for March 26 onwards - all I need now is one of their discount vouchers  ;D  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Seriously, confining the elderly like that for such a period simply cannot work. Yet again someone near No 10 simply hasn't yet mastered joined-up thinking!

What is the alternative?

Allow people over 70 to decide for themselves. Advise them to stay indoors and avoid contact with others. If they decide not to, then make them aware that they may be refused medical treatment. I presume if the Government goes ahead with this they will also include people younger than 70 who are vulnerable - those recovering from serious illnesses or who have asthma? Has this really been thought out properly?

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:24 GMT (UK) »
I am worried about my father who is 93 and lives alone.  I spoke to him today and he says he has a cold but not a temperature or cough so isn't too worried.  He is very independent and I struggle to get him to accept any help or shopping as it is  = worried.  I am going to put my foot down and take stuff round to him whether he likes it or not. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Looks like part of the idea is to stagger the virus in households. Like, when one recovers from a cold, another catches it.

Mark