Author Topic: Steeds and McMurrans  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Steeds and McMurrans
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 March 20 22:37 GMT (UK) »
The names given to Catherine's children suggest her parents might have been James and Elizabeth.
I agree with Monica - you need to look at her marriage record for names of her parents and then we can look some more.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 March 20 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Daniel, you have a subs to Ancestry? You mentioned doing searches on it.

I think this is your Catherine with her family in 1901. I think her age will likely read 1 month not 1 year on the original image.

James Stead 26 Colliery Pitheadman b. Wishaw Lanarkshire
Elizabeth Stead 25
John Stead 3
Elizabeth Stead 2
Catherine Stead 1

Address: Bogside Cottage, Kilmaurs Ayrshire

There is a family tree which you can access with a subs here www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/69322917/person/212100159647/facts

They give Catherine's birth as being on 13 March 1901 Bogside Couírt (likely will read Cottage as we have in 1901), Crosshouse, Ayrshire.

Her burial details are on www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch?DetsView=Summary&src=ext&fileid=4205195

Burial Register summary

Catherine Kerr Stead
Burial date 15 June 1979
Location East Ayrshire

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 March 20 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Re Catherine's 1911 census entry, I think she is Kilmaurs, showing as:

CATHERINE STEAD
598/ 7/ 1
Kilmaurs
Ayr

Monica

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 March 20 22:46 GMT (UK) »
What website for the census? I've tried scotlands people, Ancestry, FindMyPast, CenUK and I cant find her for the 1911 census
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline danielok

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 March 20 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, I have a birth certificate of Catherine Kerr Stead and I comfrimed with her daughter (my great grandma) that her middle name was Kerr, it said the parents were called john steed and agnes mcmurran. I got that from my friends computer on Scotlandspeople, she could have died in 1979, also no I don't have a sub on Ancestry though from her birth certificate I think what you, monica got may be wrong because on her parents marriage certificate they were both 21 meaning they would have been born in 1879/8, her parents were married May 7 1900
Alexander, Cluderay, Whiteside, Smillie, White

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 March 20 16:37 GMT (UK) »
As has already been pointed out, there were at least two Catherine Kerr Steed/Steads of similar age.

You say you have a birth certificate of one of them, but how do you know she is the right one?

I see a marriage of a John Steed to Catherine Kerr in Dalmellington in 1872.

They had a son James, born in 1874 in Cambusnethan, who is an exact match for the 26-year-old James Stead in the 1901 census.

They also had a son John, born 1878/9, who could have been 21 on 7 May 1900 when John Steed and Agnes McMurran were married.

So your two Catherine Kerr Steed/Steads are almost certainly first cousins, both named after their grandmother, and you need to sort out which cousin was the wife of William Samson.

Noting that William Samson and Catherine Kerr Stead/Steed named their first daughter Elizabeth does rather suggest that William Samson's wife was the daughter of James Steed/Stead and Elizabeth Owens rather than of John Stead/Steed and Agnes McMurran.

As does the evidence of the deaths indexes which has already been quoted.

And forget about Ancestry. Go for the original documents on Scotland's People just to make sure that what is on Ancestry wasn't put there by someone who hadn't bothered to do the basic research properly.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 March 20 21:01 GMT (UK) »
James Stead/Steed and wife Elizabeth (plus family) are in Kilmaus in the 1901 and the 1911 census.

John Stead/Steed and wife Agnes are in Kilmarnock in the 1901 census, but I have not found them in 1911 census in Scotland.

You do need to sort out which cousin is "your" Catherine.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 March 20 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Given the death indexes, it is clear with the additional detail on mother's maiden name, which Catherine Kerr Steed/Stead married whom. The marriage or death regs for your Catherine are what you need to check now for final verification. The marriage reg is available to view on online on SP.

You know that your Catherine married William Samson so it is pretty straightforward to confirm her details.

Monica 

Offline danielok

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 March 20 22:40 GMT (UK) »
There is a Catherine on deceasedonline and this Catherine died in 1980, which my grandpa told me.
This says her middle name is Elizabeth which could of came from her mother, Elizabeth if that is her mothers name, and John Steeds parents on the marriage certificate to Agnes McMurran are as says John Steed and Catherine Steed maiden name Kerr.
Alexander, Cluderay, Whiteside, Smillie, White