Author Topic: Hilston’s Station  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hilston’s Station
« on: Sunday 15 March 20 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I’ve hit a brick wall.

I am looking for a property. Called Hilston’s Station I think it’s in NSW but could be wrong. I believe it is a property and not a railway station as my ancestor was a threshing machine operator. This information comes from a dead letter notice in the paper in 1879. Unfortunately this is all I have.

Thank you in advance.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Hilston’s Station
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 March 20 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hillston, NSW, is out my way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillston,_New_South_Wales

There was a property, Hilston Station, in SA: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191435683

What is the name of the ancestor?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 March 20 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hillston, NSW, is out my way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillston,_New_South_Wales

What is the name of the ancestor?

Jamjar

Hi,
I was thinking it may be a town but then I thought it might have been a persons name.
Jacob Vorbach. He was born on the 19th August 1860 in Smythesdale, Victoria and died 14 August 1936 in Charters Towers, Qld. The only other information that I have for him is that he was on the Electoral roll in 1936 in Charters Towers.

The family presumed he was dead as they lost contact with him. The only clue I have is this dead letter

The family story is that he changed his name to Forbes and went to Canada but I haven’t been able to find any evidence of this.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 March 20 12:49 GMT (UK) »
May  I add to JJ's reply ....

And what newspaper ... perhaps a live link to the digitised article?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 March 20 12:55 GMT (UK) »

JM

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article223121372

Here is the link 😀

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 March 20 13:02 GMT (UK) »
He was registered VORBACK, as was his brother Henry.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 March 20 13:17 GMT (UK) »
He was buried as: VERBACH Jacob Lynd Cemetery Section 28 Plot 0 Grave no. 8700 14-8-1936 Cerebral Haemorrhage Rev Martin 15-8-1936 79 PRESBYTARIAN

Jamjar

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 March 20 15:00 GMT (UK) »
He was registered VORBACK, as was his brother Henry.

Jamjar

There is a few different spellings I have seen about including Forbach/Forback

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 March 20 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I’ve hit a brick wall.

I am looking for a property. Called Hilston’s Station I think it’s in NSW but could be wrong. I believe it is a property and not a railway station as my ancestor was a threshing machine operator. This information comes from a dead letter notice in the paper in 1879. Unfortunately this is all I have.

Thank you in advance.

JM

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article223121372

Here is the link 😀

Thanks,

NSW Government Gazette
General Post Office,  Sydney, 15 May 1879.
No. 10
List of Letters Returned from the Country and now lying at this Office, unclaimed.

Starting at page 2787  -Ship Letters
Starting in the far right column at page 2790 – Colonial Letters

So at page 2790, and clearly a ‘Ship Letter’  there was a letter that had been returned back to the GPO, Sydney back from regional NSW (‘Country’) that had not been delivered/collected by the addressee.   So a letter that had originated outside of NSW and had arrived originally ‘by ship’ – from another colony or from further abroad -  had initially been sorted in Sydney NSW and sent to the ‘Country’ … it was addressed to a Jacob VORBACH, Hilston’s Stn.   

In Greville’s Post Office Directory for 1875, under HILLSTON, there’s quite a number of selectors and their pastoral runs are named.  NONE of those runs are named ‘Hilston’ or variations, it is not a surname listing either.   There is no one listed with the surname VORBACH or any variation on that.  There is no one listed as a threshing machine operator.   That same directory notes that HILLSTON was a settlement in the police, electoral, and pastoral district of The Lachlan, county of Ashburnham, 359 miles west from Sydney.  It was wholly a pastoral district.   So for example: James BOOTH was a selector, Priory station;  William BUDD, A SQUATTER, Hyandra;  William DUNN, mail contractor,   A Freeman, station manager, Cowl Cowl, A WARDE, station manager, Merrowe…     

So in 1875, the directory spelling is HILLSTON  (as in two ‘l’).   

From my offline resources, it seems there was NO railway line in the area until many years later, probably after WWI.   

I have also checked the 1878 electoral roll for THE LACHLAN, … nope, nothing for any of the likely surnames there.

Threshing Machine Operator ... horse drawn or bullock? 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.