Author Topic: Bridget, Mary and Sarah Moore emigrated to US before 1873.  (Read 1176 times)

Offline littleorme

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridget, Mary and Sarah Moore emigrated to US before 1873.
« on: Sunday 15 March 20 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Does anyone have these sisters in their family tree?
They emigrated from Ireland to US before 1873. I don't know their ages, or whether they travelled together. I have tried the Ellis Island site, without success. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Moore - Co Down
Wilson - Co Tyrone
Richards - Staffs
Waldron - Devon
Hodge - Wiltshire

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget, Mary and Sarah Moore emigrated to US before 1873.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Ellis Island didn't open until 1892, so that would explain the lack of success there.  There are earlier New York passenger lists here - https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1849782  Many immigrants from that era also sailed to Boston, Philadelphia, or even Canada to come to the US.

With such common names, you would almost certainly need details such as ages and where they were from in Ireland to find the right people on passenger lists. 

Offline littleorme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
By Ellis island - I meant to write New York >:(
Their parents were married in Rathfriland/Rathfryland, Co Down, Ireland, in 1827.
Thanks
Moore - Co Down
Wilson - Co Tyrone
Richards - Staffs
Waldron - Devon
Hodge - Wiltshire

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Do you know their parents names or siblings? and when their siblings were born? Did any of their siblings or neighbors go to the US? if so, where? Many people settled where they knew someone from home.

edited to add: the siblings likely were born within 20-25 years after the marriage :)
parents' names will help because some records in the US required them as information.

Offline littleorme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Parents names were John, a cobbler, and Catherine.
Siblings were believed born between 1827 and 1844. remained in Ireland.
Just noticed, that might make the three other girls born between 1827 and 1844 - perhaps.
Thanks
Moore - Co Down
Wilson - Co Tyrone
Richards - Staffs
Waldron - Devon
Hodge - Wiltshire

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Catherine's maiden name?

here is a long shot for Bridget, since I know "Trainor" is a surname in So. Down. just pencil it in for now:

7 Aug 1865, arr NY, age 30, servant,
she is on the line below Patrick Trainor, 23, and Rose Anne Trainor, 19, servant

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=7488&h=5837631&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=uHz28&_phstart=successSource

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 March 20 17:30 GMT (UK) »
here's another arrival you can pencil into your notes, but only because of the person's surname listed just below Bridget on the record:

6 April 1869, NYC, Bridget Moore, age 35, spinster, next line: Mary McGinness, 20, spinster
https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=7488&h=6916545&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=uHz28&_phstart=successSource

and here is
Pat Moore, 20, Mike Moore, 22, Bridget Moore 18, and Sarah Moore, 19 traveling together, arriving 26 Aug 1852, New York
https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=7488&h=399215&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=uHz28&_phstart=successSource

but you said all the other siblings stayed in Ireland ... and no clue in the manifest as to where this group were from.

----------
So, I went through the first page of results at ancestry.com for Bridget Moore, b 1835, Rathfriland, arriving 1870. ancestry widens out the dates anyway. Lots were born too early or late, or arrived as children. I eliminated 9 more, found 5 maybes, but with no So Down surname as possible companion, and that left the two I posted. There are I don't know how many more pages of results. - just for Bridget.

I was hoping to find the 3 sisters traveling together. But the children usually left one at a time in all the families I have seen, so there wasn't much hope of that.

------
You are looking at a problem here. Is there anyone else who might have a little more information about the three sisters, especially where in the US they settled? even a rumor would help. Were they said to have married?

Catherine's maiden name might help on the US records, if the 3 sisters lived long enough, past 1900 or so. Also siblings names might help find them based on naming patterns. Religion would help also, to identify or eliminate them based on maybe US marriage record or burial information.

Thinking out loud and rambling here, but trying to find an angle we can id these people with.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 March 20 19:34 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline littleorme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 March 20 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Oldohiohome - for your generous time. Much for me to consider.
Thanks, again.
Clive
Moore - Co Down
Wilson - Co Tyrone
Richards - Staffs
Waldron - Devon
Hodge - Wiltshire