Author Topic: State of Emergency, Coronavirus (part 2)  (Read 7490 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency, Coronavirus (part 2)
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 07:33 GMT (UK) »
How about this to cheer us up  :-\  What a wonderful little boy!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-51907474
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 07:59 GMT (UK) »
My husband is almost 80 but I am a sprightly 58.  He is now retired but only three years ago following a heart attack.  He is fit and healthy but I worry about him getting this virus.  I work part time doing office work in an environment which provides a service for people who are homeless and vulnerable. Following the government advice yesterday I have asked my employer if I can work at home as much as possible to avoid taking the virus home to my husband.  I also fear for his sanity if he has to be indoors too long and can't get out to talk to people.  My employer is considering my request and I should know later today.  But, I was given the impression that I am try to 'skive off' which I'm not.  I'm happy to do the work but I don't want to put my husband at risk.  What is wrong with that?

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

guest189040

« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 09:05 GMT (UK) »
My husband is almost 80 but I am a sprightly 58.  He is now retired but only three years ago following a heart attack.  He is fit and healthy but I worry about him getting this virus.  I work part time doing office work in an environment which provides a service for people who are homeless and vulnerable. Following the government advice yesterday I have asked my employer if I can work at home as much as possible to avoid taking the virus home to my husband.  I also fear for his sanity if he has to be indoors too long and can't get out to talk to people.  My employer is considering my request and I should know later today.  But, I was given the impression that I am try to 'skive off' which I'm not.  I'm happy to do the work but I don't want to put my husband at risk.  What is wrong with that?

Rishile

So your employer provides services for the homeless and vulnerable yet they think you want to skive.

The attitude of your employer sucks big time.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 09:05 GMT (UK) »
What a wonderful wee boy. It heartened me reading your link BumbleB.

Rishile many companies are supposed to be looking into this working from home but they are too slow to put it into practice unfortunately. My daughter is in a similar position to yourself and is awaiting a management decision. I will add that she works for a large Christian Church organisation.

Thousands of people are going to be out of work soon as businesses are forced to close. I wonder how they will get money. Will they be classified as unemployed? and have to wait weeks if not months for benefits?

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 09:08 GMT (UK) »

Rishile

So your employer provides services for the homeless and vulnerable yet they think you want to skive.

The attitude of your employer sucks big time.

I will reserve my judgement on that until I find out later today  :)

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Well, being public-spirited I thought I would try ordering my groceries for home delivery. I am over 70 but reasonably fit and well, in the sense that I'm not on any medication. All went well until I came to the 'checkout' . . . I won't be able to eat for the next ten days as the next available delivery is 28th March  :o

Luckily I can go to the shop myself or send my son but it does highlight the problems with this self-isolation proposal. We can only hope the shops quickly adjust to the new situation.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 10:19 GMT (UK) »
And don't get me started on UHT milk. I don't know why it is my husband's preferred choice, but we always take 3 or 4 UHT soya, and 4 UHT cows milk. Since the crisis began we have only been able to buy fresh cows milk in plastic containers.

If the (cows) milk has been homogenised and is in plastic bottles it is normally ok to freeze them - check the label though to make sure it is ok. And best to do some research online about how to freeze and how to defrost etc.

And never use glass bottles in the freezer.  :o

The defrosted milk sometimes has a different flavour and texture to fresh milk, but if UHT is normally preferred I'm not sure the difference will be noticeable. Often better results can be had from skimmed or semi-skimmed milk - the fat content is part of the problem.

I don't know about freezing other kinds of milk, but I'm sure the internet has all the answers somewhere.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 10:42 GMT (UK) »
UHT milk UGH!
Cowban

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Milk - UGH - not had any for 73 years  :-X

Nick seems to be very knowledgeable about a lot of things :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***