Author Topic: Evans Children Birth Registration and Baptism  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Evans Children Birth Registration and Baptism
« on: Thursday 19 March 20 20:56 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping some on Rootschat can help me find a few difficult birth registrations; and/or baptisms, as the baptism could lead to a birth registration. Being Travellers, this does not relate to one county. There are links to Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire and Montgomeryshire (her family roots near Machynlleth). I am trying to piece everything together, hopefully with a reference.

Daniel and Catherine Ann (Boswell) Evans had 4 children and on the 1911 Census all were still living, but on the 1901 and 1911 Census only 3 were named, with the only consistent name being Matilda Evans. They were travellers, where birth noted on the Census, may not be where they were registered, or where the baptism took place. Also, from my offerings, I have Bass as an mmn and a possible being Box. Looking on the GRO, there are no children born within the time-frame having Boswell as the mmn in England or Wales. Boswell is linked to gypsies, so they often used different names, including Boswell’s moving from England to Wales calling themselves Williams. Their mother was a Boswell, with mmn Williams, so I can see Williams or Evans also being used. Although the 1911 Census claimed they had been married 19 years, that is not the case, they married in 1899 after all the children had been born; it was 12 years. From piecing together the names, I believe these are the most likely.

Birth: Matilda Evans . 1893 . mmn: Bass
(Reference: Oct-Dec 1893 . Swansea  . Volume 11a . Page 841)
Baptism: Matilda Evans . 1893 . Lliw Common . Llandilo T’Bont, Glamorgan . Father's Name: Daniel . Tinman . Mother's Name: Catherine

Birth: Aran Evans . 1896 – Can anyone find a birth registration and baptism?
He was called Aran at his marriage in 1917, joining the army in WW1 and his death in 1958, though he is only named on the 1911 Census as Aaron Evans . Son . 14 . Swansea, Glamorganshire . Assisting In The Business. On the 1901 Census, there is an Evan . Son . M . 5 . Swansea, Glamorgan, which I interpreted as a transcription error for Aran/Aaron)

Birth: Daniel Evans . c.1897 – Can anyone find a birth registration?
Baptism: Daniel Evans . 1901 . Age: 4 .  Pontarddulais . Llandilo T’Bont, Glamorgan . Father's Name: Daniel . Show Business . Mother's Name: Catherine Ann
On the 1901 Census there is Dan Evans . Son . M . 3 . Pontypridd, Glamorgan
On the 1911 Census there is no Daniel or Dan. He would be 13, so can anyone find him on the 1911 Census?

Birth: John Evans . c.1898 – Can anyone find a birth registration and baptism?
On the 1911 Census there John, who it seems was born the same year as Dan: John Evans . Son . 13 . Pontyfridd, Glamorganshire . Assisting In The Business
(Possible Birth Ref: Jan-Mar 1899 . mmn: Box . Pontypridd  . Volume 11a  . Page 521)
(Possible Baptism: John Evans . 13 Apr 1898 . Aberavon, Glamorganshire
Ref: Digital Folder Number: 004378201)

Being travellers, they spent time in Aberavon and Llandilo T’Bont.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Evans Children Birth Registration and Baptism
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 March 20 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Pasted the wrong bit sorry. The only registration for a John mother mmn Bass is in 1892 in Bethna l Green - GRO INDEX REF  = EVANS, JOHN  THOMAS     BASS 
GRO Reference: 1892  S Quarter in BETHNAL GREEN  Volume 01C  Page 258

Having a look to see  if he was baptised

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 March 20 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Not the John in Bethnal Green

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 March 20 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Can you please post the full details from the 1901 and 1911 census

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 March 20 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, but I have been through the GRO and although there are possibles, I cannot confirm or discount them. I feel the mmn BASS, may only have been used once, but there is no doubt, that is the right person. The Bethnal Green BASS was a little early, as the eldest was Matilda mmn BASS, born in 1893. I have found no evidence that they left South Wales, but that does not mean they never went to London. Originally, the Boswells were from England and would have relatives there. The Williams family that Catherine Ann Boswell is from are also travelling showmen, as were the Boswells. Although her maiden name was Boswell, she may have used her mmn, which was Williams, of which there are plenty.

They did like to have their children baptized, which I feel, could offer more clarification. At present, I am only able to use Family Search, as I accessed paid versions in the library. I was hoping, some on Rootschat could find baptisms. Because the birth location on a census, may not match birth registration, or baptism, only the baptism will give me sufficient information to know I have the right person. Then I might be able to close in on a registration and buy the certificate.

There is a possible baptism for John Evans . 13 Apr 1898 . Aberavon, Glamorganshire . Ref: Digital Folder Number: 004378201, but at present I cannot see the image for his parents.

The 1901 and 1911 Census;
1901 Census . Favi Field, Aberavon, Glamorgan
Daniel Evans . Head . M . Married . 30 . Llandovery, Carmarthenshire . Travelling Showman
Catherine Evans . Wife . F . Married . 28 . Swansea, Glamorgan . Travelling Showman
Tilly Evans . Daughter . F . 7 . Portydulais, Glamorgan . Travelling Showman
Evan Evans . Son . M . 5 . Swansea, Glamorgan
Dan Evans . Son . M . 3 . Pontypridd, Glamorgan
(Ref: Schedule: 310 . Page Number: 58)

1911 Census . Llanfihangel Abercowin . Milford Arms Yard, Saint Clears, Carmarthenshire
Daniel Evans . Head . 39 . Llanwrda, Carmarthenshire . Travelling Showman
Catherine Anne Evans . Wife . 38 . Swansea . Assisting In The Business
Matilda Evans . Daughter . 16 . Pontadulais . Assisting In The Business
Aaron Evans . Son . 14 . Swansea . Assisting In The Business
John Evans . Son . 13 . Pontyfridd . Assisting In The Business
(Ref: RG14 . Schedule 158 . Piece/Folio 315 . GBC/1911/RG14/33027/0315/4)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 March 20 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you

Evan Evans is what it says on the image so not a transcription error
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 March 20 11:16 GMT (UK) »
I accept Evan was written on the census form, but it is not that much of a leap to hear Aran and write Evan. Aran was not a common name, certainly not in Wales where Evan is more common and expected. There were only 4 children and when you add the names together from 1901 and 1911, Aran/Evan is the only issue, Matilda, Dan and John seem clear.

I know there was an Aran, never Aaron, as I traced him through WW1 as Aran/Aron, marriage as Aran and even death in 1958 as Aran. That I also accept, may be the name he used, rather than the one he was given, mainly as I cannot find any trace of a birth registration for Aran.

Added: Looking at different areas of these interlocking families, firstly, they were travellers, so some have rather unusual names; or 'English' names. They did not have 'Welsh' names, so I see Evan as being very different, it just does not fit within the family.