Author Topic: 1901 St helier Jersey- Julius Hettich  (Read 1934 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
1901 St helier Jersey- Julius Hettich
« on: Friday 20 March 20 08:15 GMT (UK) »
I have Julius Hettich and his son in St Helier on the 1901 Census- Julius is listerd as a jeweller along with his son Edwin. There is also a shop assistant Ethel Saunders plus a porter with his wife and young son. Julius was born in Baden Germany but was by then a British Subject, whilsty his son Edwin was born in Cardiff. i have Julius's wife and the other children in Cardiff in 1901.
I am trying to find out about Julius's business in St Helier and would be very grateful indeed for any other information please in respect of the Census entry - and possibly any trade directories.
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 St helier Jersey- Julius Hettich
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 20 09:35 GMT (UK) »
There are a few mentions of Julius HETTICH in newspapers, in Cardiff that I can see, but none relating to St Helier.

It appears there are also some of his son Edwin in St Helier, in British Newpsaper Archive - I don't subscribe but you can search for free. It appears from the snips available that Edwin ran the business, and passed an exam in June 1908 by the British Optical Association and conducted eye exams as an optician.

Also a marriage notice for Emily Florence, second daughter of J HETTICH, Queen St ... to Clarence HAMON, third son of C W HAMON of Jersey on 9 June 1908.

Modified to add:
Also a wonderful description of a sign above his shop in 1909 (I've cobbled together a transcription from previews)

"A very large and striking sign has been hung outside the premises of Mr. E. Wyndham Hettich, jeweller and optician, 1, King street, and has attracted much attention, particularly in the evening. It is in the shape of a pair of gilt spectacles, with translucent lenses, below which a scroll bearing the words "Sight-testing optician,” the whole being suspended from a handsome iron bracket. At night, the lenses are illuminated by two 25 candle-power electrics lamps, which are controlled by a flasher which causes the eyes ” to shine and darken every [?] seconds. The flashes can be plainly seen at a considerable distance, and from the prominent position of the s, attract much attention after dark. Made on the design drawn up by Mr. E. Wyndham Hettich, who is to be complimented on the very appropriate sign which now adorns his establishment it is pleasing to learn that the work has been carried out entirely by local firms, in a very creditable manner. The iron bracket from which the sign hangs was supplied by Mr. Ph. Feuvrp, Don-street, the spectacles were made the firm of J. W. Dupre and Co., Charing Cross, and the gilding was entrusted to Messrs. Anderson and Son, Waterloo-street. while the connecting flashing apparatus the electric installation used on the premises, was carried out by Messrs. Hodgetts and Le Maistre, Bath-street. may not be out of place to remind those of our readers who have failing sight that Mr. Hettich makes a specialty of up-to-date and scientific sight-testing, while those to whom the idea of wearing glasses is obnoxious from considerations of experience, the Fairy eye-glasses, light, comfortable and almost invisible ..."

Jersey Independent and Daily Telegraph, Saturday 01 May 1909

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 March 20 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Hettich still operates as a Jewellers in St Helier - very classy shop!
Edwin married the shop assistant Ethel Frances Saunders in Sept 1901.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 March 20 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so very much- this is fascinating. I am trying to investigate a family myth that a member of this family was possibly involved/connected with Faberge at the turn of the century or possibly a bit later. Bearing in mind the high class of the jewellers there in st helier today, Edwin and his father Julius were clearly running a very high class business there. Does anyone have any idea how I can find if there is any truth in this rumour please?
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 March 20 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Update- I have now looked carefully at the Hettich website and they are agents for Faberge products- result! Now the link here is through Leopold Hattich/Hettich who was born in London (parents from Baden, the same as Julius)- and trying to work back both lines into Germany to find the linkage. Pressing onwards.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 St helier Jersey- Julius Hettich/Leopold Hettich/Hattich
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 March 20 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I am researching Leoplold Hattich/Hettich who was born in London St Saviour in 1871- also a jeweller whose parents alo came from Baden- as did Julius. I would love to know if there are any records in the Jersey records that mention leopold at all- or another member of tghis family called Leopold.

i feel I am closing in on this research- so near and yet so far!

Is there a Leopold Hattich/Hettich listed in Jersey at any point in time please.

Thank you all so much!

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 March 20 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I suspect you will have checked -
http://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Hattich, 1924?

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 March 20 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - yes. But the Leopold I am tracing possibly fathered a child in the UK in 1921. Thank you anyway! It is just that I have almost exhausted UK rrecords and wondered if there was any trace of  aLeopold in Jersey over the period from around 1870 to 1930. Just a thought.