Author Topic: Edward Bassant & Ann Maria Crayden marriage 1861-1871  (Read 486 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Bassant & Ann Maria Crayden marriage 1861-1871
« on: Sunday 22 March 20 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone find a marriage for Edward Bassant and Ann Maria Crayden (sometimes Maria Ann Crayden). Both names give rise to spelling variations. The couple have a daughter Sarah Ann White Bassant baptised 1866 at Bapchild. I would expect the marriage to be in the Milton \ Sittingbourne \ bapchild area.

Thank you
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Bassant & Ann Maria Crayden marriage 1861-1871
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 March 20 22:07 GMT (UK) »
The birth:

BASSANT, SARAH  ANN WHITE mmn CRAYDEN 
GRO Reference: 1866  M Quarter in  Volume 02A  Page 712

Christening: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NLWW-2CQ

Sarah is BASSAND at marriage: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGNN-LF4L

1871: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VF6R-SNJ

I’m not seeing a marriage. I have looked for a previous marriage for Mary/Maria and no joy.

A marriage:

Dec 1854 Milton 2a 1015
CRAYDEN Ann
MAXTED Ann Maria
Either HOLDSTOCK of BARNEY

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Online Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 March 20 22:18 GMT (UK) »
No joy with a marriage from me either. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 March 20 22:23 GMT (UK) »
I can find Ann in 1861 but not Edward.  Have you found him in 1861?  Wondered if he was already married hence no marriage to Ann
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 March 20 22:30 GMT (UK) »
1871 shows him b Ospringe 1835

There is a tree on Ancestry showing that info but as Edward Charles parents Daniel & Mary Ann (nee Anslow).  Is this is the same person?  If so the tree is showing his first wife as Ann Goodhew marriage 1852 but her death the same year.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 March 20 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for looking.

Yes that is the birth registration and baptism for Sarah.

No I do not have Edward in 1861. There is a John Bassant in 1861 but that is not him going by an alternative name as that John continues to appear later.

Edward dies in 1872 and Ann remarries in 1873 (to George Terry).

There is no earlier marriage for Ann Maria, or Maria Ann as she sometimes called herself, that I can see.

I am coming to the conclusion that she did not marry Edward but as his whereabouts is always a bit shaky that might explain why
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 March 20 22:37 GMT (UK) »
1871 shows him b Ospringe 1835

There is a tree on Ancestry showing that info but as Edward Charles parents Daniel & Mary Ann (nee Anslow).  Is this is the same person?  If so the tree is showing his first wife as Ann Goodhew marriage 1852 but her death the same year.

Yes 1871 shows him born Ospringe but I actually think he was born at Preston next to Faversham (very close together). That then leads to confusion in 1841 and 1851 as in 41 his parents appear to be George and Mary but in 51 Daniel and Mary? All a bit confusing

Fortunately it is only Ann Maria Crayden that I am really interested in, was just trying to tidy ends up with the elusive marriage