Author Topic: Requesting military records times and results  (Read 2812 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting military records times and results
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 March 20 17:48 GMT (UK) »
I don't think that element of the form will make a difference if it isn't quite right.

One reason why the RAF and the army take differing times may well be a question of scale.  The RAF had 963000 at the end of the war, the Royal Artillery alone had over a million but the folks in Glasgow are dealing with the whole of the army numbering 3 million or so  - although they may have more people looking at service records, the numbers won't be on the same scales.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 March 20 18:30 GMT (UK) »
That is a relief. It would be an awful shame otherwise.

And that makes a lot of sense. Especially when the details provided might be scarce. For example, I only know my great-grandad’s full name and place of birth.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 March 20 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Kiltaglassen, that’s very interesting. May I ask if the second service record contained more information? Could that have been why it took longer? Or purely a matter of administration?

MacGrigor  ;D
I haven't received the service record yet........4 months and counting!!

KG

Added: I just ticked a) Normal demob after 1939/45 war, on application form
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 March 20 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I misread! I thought you said it’d been received after 4 months. Hopefully it shouldn’t be far away.

And was the normal demob option applicable to the record you did receive? Was he demobbed after the war?
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 March 20 19:39 GMT (UK) »
And was the normal demob option applicable to the record you did receive? Was he demobbed after the war?

Yes, he was demobbed on 31st March 1946 to 'z' reserve.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 March 20 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Did you include many details while applying for his records?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 March 20 19:45 GMT (UK) »
The time taken to photocopy a service record of say ten pages will not be much different to the time taken to copy one of 20 pages so it isn't the production of the copy record once the file is identified and processed that makes the difference.  We don't know how many staff members there are in the Army Personnel Centre Historical Disclosures section as compared to the RAF 3rd Party Disclosure Team for example or what their relative work loads and priorities are.  What I do know is that the APC for example deal also with welfare organisations who need records to support their work with living individuals, this work has a higher priority than family history as Graham Simons has mentioned.  The department also deals with parliamentary request for information, also a higher priority.

MaxD 

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 March 20 12:15 GMT (UK) »
If my memory serves me correctly, when filling out the form I think you have the option to include an extra piece of paper to further support your application? (but I may be wrong with that).

I know on my application form I wrote additional information and supplied additional documentation to give further proof. For example with your demobilization question you could write "unknown" or whatever else you think is appropriate.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 March 20 12:40 GMT (UK) »
That might be helpful! I’ll have to look at the forms again to see if it’s mentioned.