Author Topic: Lionel Bennett, married Victoria Australia 1957-58.  (Read 2058 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lionel Bennett, married Victoria Australia 1957-58.
« on: Sunday 29 March 20 23:30 BST (UK) »
A family history lists a woman marrying Lionel John Arculus Bennett (1918-1962) on 28 Jun 1957 but tells us nothing more about her. I'd like to find out more. She may be alive so I won't mention her name. Since I started this thread I have bought the Vic BDM of the marriage, which was in 1958, not 1957.  She was born in Fremantle WA about 1934, going on the marr cert, but may have been born later given that her parents were married in 1937 and she might have wanted to downplay the age difference to her husband. She is on the electoral roll in Victoria in 1963 as Bennett and there is a woman of the same name on a NSW roll, also in 1963, which could be her but probably isn't.  I have had feedback which led me to buy the marriage certificate, thanks, and that has given me a lot more leads, along with the other responses. So thanks to you all. Geoff

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: xxxxx not known to be deceased but married Victoria Australia 1957-58.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 March 20 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

You should consider that she is still living, until such time as you are certain she is not.  So, please consider removing her actual name from your topic heading and from your opening post.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: xxxxx married Victoria Australia 1957-58.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 March 20 01:15 BST (UK) »
What to expect on Vic BDM images that you can purchase online and download immediately on line...

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/  takes you to :

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369963.0  which then takes you to :

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html

which includes :
Marriages
 Date and place of marriage;
 name and surnames;
 conjugal condition, whether bachelor or spinster, widow or widower,
 stating date of decease of former wife or husband;
 children by each former marriage;
 birthplace;
 occupation;
 age;
 residence (present and usual);
 parent's names of each party (including mother's maiden name) and occupation of    father;
 signatures of the parties and witnesses;
 signature of Minister. Prior to 1963 the date of termination of previous marriages of  the parties is also shown.

Your opening post mentions that you have located the reference number as 10827/1958 for their marriage.   :)  :)

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history   

Discounted certificates for the month of March
To say 'thank you' to our valued family historians, we are offering downloadable uncertified historical certificates for $20 each for the entire month of March. This is a saving of $4.50 per certificate.

Records of births, marriages and deaths can provide unique insight into your family history and identity.

It is already 30 March 2020.   ;D  ;D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lionel Bennett, married Victoria Australia 1957-58.
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 March 20 01:22 BST (UK) »
I'll get the marriage cert. I'd like to delete this whole thread for the reason you mentioned but don't know how. I don't think there would be any point having the thread without the name.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
..... married Victoria Australia 1957-58.
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 March 20 01:26 BST (UK) »
It is possible to keep the thread,  just modify to remove her name.   There are many very experienced RChatters who will know how to help you based on the VIC reference number and the name of the chap she married.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
xxxx married Victoria Australia 1957-58.
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 March 20 01:36 BST (UK) »
So for example, there are RChatters who understand how Vic BDM records work.   I am NSW centric, so not much chop with Vic BDM .... but ...

The Vic bdm index online has sufficient info displaying there, IF they search for Lionel BENNETT's marriage in 1958.   :)  So you only need to remove her name from your topic headings in each of your posts, and from the paragraphs in your opening post.   The experienced RChatters will then be able to send you any info they find by the PM system, and if they find details showing she is no longer living they will likely post a message on this thread.

In that way, we have protected her privacy, assuming she is still living.  Very strict rules about personal privacy right across Australia, in all eight jurisdictions.  :)

JM

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 March 20 01:48 BST (UK) »
OK, now that I have protected her privacy and bought the marriage cert I don't expect there will be much else people can help me with. Thanks for putting me on the right path, JM.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 March 20 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, now that you have the marriage cert, you hopefully will know her parents given names.
If you can find a death /funeral notice for them, maybe the notices might give you a clue if she was still living at the time of their deaths and possibly her surname.

Good luck

Cass

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 March 20 02:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cass, I'll go hunting in Trove. Her parents were both still alive in 1958, but her father was retired.