Author Topic: Trying To Find Wellington Terrace in South Shields  (Read 1610 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Trying To Find Wellington Terrace in South Shields
« on: Monday 30 March 20 08:34 BST (UK) »
Good morning Rootschatters, hope this enquiry finds you all well. Does anyone have any idea where Wellington Terrace was in South Shields? The 1851 census has my 2 x G. Aunt living there as a Cook/Servant. I have a copy of part of that area as ancestors of mine lived in Wellington Street in the 1861 census and I can find Wellington Place running of the street but no Wellington Terrace. Of course it could be in a totally different area of South Shields that I do not have a map for. If anyone can help I would be grateful.
Also I've taken a printout for Elizabeth Thompson (my 2 x G A) from Family Search and it only lists 3 servants living at this address, any reason why the owners weren't included on the census printout? Could it have been a business and they were the only people working there at the time.
Many thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying To Find Wellington Terrace in South Shields
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 March 20 08:37 BST (UK) »
It was very common for rows of houses on a main  road to be called *** Terrace, and are not normally named on maps.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 March 20 08:43 BST (UK) »
Wellington Terrace was part of Beach Road, South Shields.

Starting at the Fowler Street end the first 14 houses were Ogle Terrace, then a break (Anderson Street) and the next row of houses were Wellington Terrace.

I can confirm that as I have done research on those two Terraces.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 March 20 08:54 BST (UK) »
Also I've taken a printout for Elizabeth Thompson (my 2 x G A) from Family Search and it only lists 3 servants living at this address, any reason why the owners weren't included on the census printout? Could it have been a business and they were the only people working there at the time.
Many thanks, Paul

The transcript on familysearch has split the household in two, the part you have has the later entries.

This is the beginning of the household who are on the previous page
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGVS-QWL
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 March 20 08:55 BST (UK) »
You've beaten me to it, Rosie.  Henry Lawson was home in 1851 and was the householder.  (A very grand house, by the way).

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 March 20 09:20 BST (UK) »
A big thank you to all for so quickly replying at 8am? I should have remembered that rows of Terrace houses were sometimes on main roads but had it in my mind that it would be next to Wellington Street. Also thank you for providing the owners of the house. All sorted. Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 March 20 09:52 BST (UK) »
You can see Wellington Terrace on the 1857 Town Plan at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/436747/567020/13/101250

Change the zoom as necessary.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 March 20 11:24 BST (UK) »
You can see Wellington Terrace on the 1857 Town Plan at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/436747/567020/13/101250

Change the zoom as necessary.

Stan
Stan, once again thank you for your valuable contribution to my never ending questions.
Paul

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 March 20 13:30 BST (UK) »
Wellington Terrace was part of Beach Road, South Shields.

Starting at the Fowler Street end the first 14 houses were Ogle Terrace, then a break (Anderson Street) and the next row of houses were Wellington Terrace.

I can confirm that as I have done research on those two Terraces.
Hi Rhododendron, thank you for your reply and information. Do you know if Wellington Terrace still exists? I have just looked at properties for sale on Beach Rd and there are some very grand (and pricey) terrace houses dating back to early 19th C. which are grade 2 listed and large houses, just right for Mr. Lawson who was a wine merchant.
Although I live in Australia I do come back to visit and as all my Thompson family came from South Shields (and no doubt most of them are still living there) i love looking and recording the streets they used to live in (although most of them have now been demolished).
Thanks, Paul