Author Topic: Link to PayPal gives blank screen  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Link to PayPal gives blank screen
« on: Monday 30 March 20 15:34 BST (UK) »
I have used PayPal for many years to make online payments so that I don't need to disclose my card details. Recently this has failed to work on every occasion and I have been left with no option but to enter card details. On selecting PayPal for payment it just presents me with a blank screen and this happens with both Firefox and Edge browsers. Having Googled the problem the most likely cause seemed to be the disabling of pop-ups but enabling pop-ups made no difference. I was convinced it had to be due to something on my PC but when I tried on my Amazon Fire tablet that too failed, but with a failure message and not a blank screen.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem and any ideas as to what might be causing it.  Thank you.
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Link to PayPal gives blank screen
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 March 20 15:39 BST (UK) »
Here are the help & contact pages for PayPal:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/home

It may be worth you contacting their support team.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 March 20 15:46 BST (UK) »
I've no real idea but my guess is that the card details you have stored with Paypal have expired.  You must have had a new credit and debit card sent to you over the past couple or so years.  So perhaps you need to log into PayPal and update all your details.

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 March 20 16:45 BST (UK) »
Trystan : Thanks for the link to PayPal support. I've sent them details of my problem and I'm now waiting for their response. Apparently they are very busy, so I could have a long wait!

LizzieW : A reasonable suggestion but I have checked and all my cards are current. Thanks anyway.
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 March 20 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

What was the actual message obtained on the FireTablet?

R
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 March 20 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

What was the actual message obtained on the FireTablet?

R

Thanks for replying. The message I received was :-

"There was an error processing your payment. Please try again."

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 April 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
I believe (hope!) I have now solved this problem. I tried everything that was suggested by PayPal and others, such as deleting the cache, cookies, history, ad-blockers etc but nothing seemed to work. I eventually pinned it down to my McAfee virus software which had added its WebAdvisor extension to Firefox. When I disabled that the link to PayPal worked OK. I was a little uneasy removing this useful security check so I enabled the McAfee extension again just to see what happened. Lo and behold I could still access Paypal! The solution to my problem seems to be to disable and then re-enable that McAfee extension. Anyway, I'll see how it works out but meanwhile thank you all for your help.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 April 20 16:33 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear you've solved the problem.  Computers  ::) ::)