Author Topic: Identifying regiments  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Identifying regiments
« on: Monday 22 August 05 10:17 BST (UK) »
Is it easy to identify a regiment from the soldiers uniform?

If so how easy is it to do?

I have two brothers and would like to identify which regiment they were in so that I can obtain their medal/service records.

I have hopefully attached the photos

Any help on this would be great.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying regiments
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 August 05 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicky,

I believe the top one is the Devonshire Regt and the bottom one the Army Ordance Corps.

If you could scan the cap badges to as high a resolution as possible then we may be able to confirm that.

It is the cap badges that identify them more easily as during WW1 in particular most Regt's wore the same uniform.

Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 August 05 21:03 BST (UK) »
nicky,toms probably right about their regts/units,the rank of the second man is smith/armourer,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 07:37 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies, I will see if I can find the records from this.
Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 16:15 BST (UK) »
nicky,what are their names,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Frederick Whall is the top one and George Whall the bottom one. They were both originally from Norwich, Norfolk.

Nicky