Author Topic: New to photo restoration, need help for how to repair dad's shirt using CS6  (Read 1320 times)

Offline CS6Newbee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Folks,
I have here an old photo of my dad in East Africa circa 1930/1940's. I have just retired from work, and currently self isolating from the virus. My dad's name Soma Nathu worked for a local Council in Kenya during the Coloniel Days. I am new to photo restoration and this is my first attempt in restoration. I am now stuck on repairing his shirt. Have no idea how to do this. Tried several methods like clone stamp and some other tools. Would welcome anyone who can help me out and point me in the right direction on how to get this done.  I have a working copy in TIFF format.Thank you
Beginner at Photo restoration which keeps me sane in retirement !

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New to photo restoration, need help for how to repair dad's shirt using CS6
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat, To help you through the process there is a Resources, Tips and Tutorials thread at the very top of the board. There are also YouTube tutorials on effectively using the cloning tool and the spot healing tool online.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline zoe_Wiccalo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 April 20 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, here's a few ways..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgCzbM1R5Eg << video of me doing your dad, don't worry it's unlisted.

any Qs just ask.

Offline zoe_Wiccalo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 April 20 01:25 BST (UK) »
the biggest tips I can give are master these 4 things, it really will help.

1.holding the left ALT key & moving your mouse left or right increases the size of your tool.

2.as above, holding left ALT key but moving your mouse up or down adjusts either the opacity or sharpness of the tool your using.

3.Cloning - holding the Alt key & left clicking selects the area to clone.

4.learn layers - CLICK HERE for a decent video on that.

Offline CS6Newbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 April 20 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol, for replying. It looks like I need to walk first before running, and get it.... need much more time learning the correct way to use the tools on CS6. My first try looked aweful and the colour was patch and did not blend in properly on the shirt. Ah, well  out comes a bottle os sherbert and a pack of Kettle Crisps and watch a lot more youtube !

Thank you again for your input, and have a nice day
Len

Offline CS6Newbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 April 20 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Zoe, I am lost for words.... You did this so quickly... Thanks for the tips and the video which makes it look so easy but I know that is not so. My first attempt to fix the shirt was a disaster. It looked patchy and looked like something a 5 year old would do. I now need to learn the use of the CS6 tools properly and practice more before attempting more on this photo. After the shirt, I would like to darken the roof and the background a little. Not sure how to go about this but I guess more study is required. :) Eventually I would like to print and frame.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 April 20 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Len...There are numerous ways to achieve the same effect and we all vary in which approach we take. It takes a lot of patience and practice and there is no quick fix to restoring it is just a question of practice and familiarising yourself with the tools. Everyone has to start somewhere so why not have a look here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=232981.0

Good luck and have fun  :D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU