Author Topic: Eliza Leeson Mow Cop 1911  (Read 515 times)

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eliza Leeson Mow Cop 1911
« on: Friday 03 April 20 10:57 BST (UK) »
Eliza Leeson, born Scholar Green in 1897, is listed as being with her mother and her siblings at Odd Rode, Cheshire in the 1911 Census.  However, her name was added as an afterthought at the end of the list.

I am convinced that sometime in this last 7 or 8 years I have found a separate entry for her, listing her as a Domestic Servant in a Mow Cop household.  I can't find the reference in my notes, nor can I find the entry on line when looking this week.  However, I remain convinced that I'm not making this up.

Mow Cop sits on the Staffordshire - Cheshire boundary, but most properties lie in Staffordshire.

Any help in re-locating this entry, and its basic details, would be much appreciated.

BB

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Leeson Mow Cop 1911
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 April 20 11:47 BST (UK) »
Just for background.

On the 1911 census - the family are at Rode Heath, Stoke on Trent (Mr Joel LEESON is the head) on the second page, as Head of Family - but seems to be away on the actual census.

Eliza E LEESON - is at home with her mother - aged 14 -  born Odd Rock Cheshire, along with 8 siblings.  Emma Eliza LEESON aged 41 has been married 22 years and had 14 children 13 living, 1 dead.

Joel LEASON in 1911 (written with an A - census, E on the next page)

Name of Vessel : London,
The Canal,  Cockshute? Wharf, Stoke on Trent

Joel LEASON, 43, Married, Master of Canal Boat - Pottery Manuf - born Staffordshire
William LEASON - son, 17, Mate, born Cheshire.

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 April 20 12:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this.  I did not know about a second page listing Joel being a part of the main family listing.  I am aware of the canal boat entry for Joel and William; Joel was a boatman, and because of this I just accepted that the Rode Heath entry (excluding him) was complete.

So I do have these entries, and know of probable 'mistakes' (not least that Eliza Ellen was born in Scholar Green - I have the birth certificate).  Rode Heath and Odd Rode are misleading if located in Stoke-on-Trent.  It sounds like a modern postcode allocation.  More accurately one would link them to Sandbach or Crewe, both in Cheshire.

Thanks again, all help appreciated - but the search goes on.

BB

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 April 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
... Rode Heath and Odd Rode are misleading if located in Stoke-on-Trent.  It sounds like a modern postcode allocation.  ...
Yes, SoT seemed to grab a chunk of the bottom right hand corner of Cheshire for postal purposes. Today, for instance, nearby Alsager has a Stoke-on-Trent postal address and post-code - how far back that went, I don't know, but reference is often made in directories to postal towns, so probably for some considerable time.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 April 20 16:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this.  I did not know about a second page listing Joel being a part of the main family listing.
BB

The 1911 census form has  been filled in by Joel Leeson as he has signed the form Mr Joel Leeson. The form has to list everyone who passed the night of Sunday 2nd April at the address. Joel Leeson knew he would not be at the address then, as he would be on board the vessel, either at midnight on 2nd April, or, as the schedule states, arrived on board on the morning of Monday 3rd April, not having been enumerated elsewhere.

The second page is actually the front of the census schedule and is filled in by the enumerator, who has assumed Joel Leeson is the head as there is no head listed with the family.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 April 20 17:51 BST (UK) »
Stan, thanks for this clear and most useful explanation as to why Joel has ended up seemingly double-entered.  He entered neither himself nor son William as being at home, knowing they would be on the narrow boat Loudan. 

Eliza Ellen remains a mystery.  She was added as an afterthought in that she's out of sequence and is missing her place of birth.  I remain convinced that I have seen Eliza listed in Mow Cop.  It's a shame a) I did not keep a better record at the time and b) our local library is closed; that's what's preventing me from trying to explore it further myself.

BB

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 April 20 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hello BB
Looking at Ancestry, Joel Leeson married Emma Eliza Walters.  I can't find a birth for Eliza Ellen Leeson/Leason on Freebmd or on the GRO website.  There is a birth of 
Florence Emily Leeson  1895 mmn Walters and
Florence Ethel  Leeson 1897 mmn Walters

Eliza Ellen Leeson married Arthur Cornwell in 1913

On the 1939 register she is listed as Eliza E Cornwall OR Florence E Cornwall

I can't see her in any other place on the 1911 census

Chris

Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 April 20 20:40 BST (UK) »
There's an unexplained family mystery as to why Eliza Ellen was registered as Florence in 1897.

All that you've unearthed is spot on - I'm just hung up about this belief that at some point in these last few years I've stumbled upon the Mow Cop entry.  Sensibly I need to do a street by street check of the village to explore this.

BB