Author Topic: Elgin Education  (Read 3829 times)

Offline GillC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Elgin Education
« on: Monday 22 August 05 13:45 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was born in Elgin in 1844 and eventually moved to Kelso as the Headmaster of an Industrial School.

He would have needed to be educated to do this but can anybody suggest where he might have recieved this education? Would he have needed specific qualifications or just a good background eduction?

Any suggestions welcome

Gill
 ???

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
Re: Elgin Education
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 13:48 BST (UK) »
hi there.

this website (below) is great for tracing people who lived in the Moray area and it is free too.... - it sometimes also has references to newspaper articles relating to the person/people you are searching for.

http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

kind rgards,
Lorna.

Offline GillC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 August 05 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorna

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried the website which offers me no further information. I know he was born the son of a shoemaker and had an elder brother who was a miller. It surprised me that he became a headmaster in the Borders. I would really like to find out where he was educated (and if the records survive) and also how he might of heard of a job at the other end of the country - would there have been a Scottish paper with the job advertised.

Best wishes

Gill

Offline OzKat

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 August 05 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorna
You may not have helped Gill with the suggestion about the Moray website but I followed the link and it has given me several useful leads. I was so excited to find stuff  mentioned in local newspapers relating to my ggg grandfather. I was up most of the night following up the leads. Thanks again. ;D
Kat
... Morrison, Murphy, Lindsay, Jones, McClatchey, McCormick, Sheehan & more - Ireland ...
... Grant, Ross, Urquhart, Rorie, May, McDougall, Donaldson  & more - Scotland ...
... Percival, Hodson, Russell, Lavis, Moxey, Viney, White, Delaforce, Bayne & many more - England ...

Percival and McCormack Family History

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline T.Donaldson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 September 05 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Gill

You could try emailing the Moray site as far as im aware not all is on the site yet. If you think he was educated in Elgin they will be able to tell you what schools were there and if you are very lucky they may have school records or let you know where to find them. One of my lot became a school teacher at The Shielburn School in Rathven . Moray gave me information on this school a long time ago. They are definitly your best chance of finding schools there at that time and if its geographically possible give them a call they are a very friendly bunch.  They have been and still are a huge help to me.

Offline GillC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 September 05 08:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information, I'll give them a try. :)

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 October 05 01:11 BST (UK) »
My grandfather Dr George Sowden was born in Madras , India 1882 and was sent home to be educated at Elgin Academy and from there to Edinburgh University.

Hope it helps.
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Mackenzie ,MacLeod,McLeod,Milne,Montgomery,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline Grizel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 January 11 22:37 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather was born in Elgin in 1844 and eventually moved to Kelso as the Headmaster of an Industrial School.

He would have needed to be educated to do this but can anybody suggest where he might have recieved this education? Would he have needed specific qualifications or just a good background eduction?

Any suggestions welcome

Gill
 ???

Offline Grizel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 January 11 22:43 GMT (UK) »
There is an article in the Moray Field Club Bulletin 2006, about your great grandfather. Your may have to contact Moray Heritage Centre to get a photocopy. The reference to his mother's death (towards end of article) is incorrect.
Hope this helps.
Grizel