Author Topic: Evan Jones (b 1831-1834) and Elizabeth Parry  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Owenthomas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Evan Jones (b 1831-1834) and Elizabeth Parry
« on: Sunday 05 April 20 19:46 BST (UK) »
I hope this is the correct county page to post this on. I am getting back into genealogy (recently retired) and searching for information on Evan Jones and Elizabeth Parry. Evan was a seaman and born 1831-1834 in Tydweiliog (hopefully correct spelling). He died in 1913. Elizabeth was born 1834-1836 at Gremp in Bryncroes. She died on October 24, 1889.  Any help to go further back would be much appreciated.

Thank You !
Owen Thomas
Colorado

Offline WelshGen

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/
    • View Profile
Re: Evan Jones (b 1831-1834) and Elizabeth Parry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 April 20 23:06 BST (UK) »
I started with the 1881 census and look for Elizabeth as she was born in Bryncroes which was in Caernarvonshire. Think this is her in the 1841 census aged 6 living at Penybont with Ann (head), 40; Elinor 15; Elizabeth 10. If Evan was a seaman he may not show up on census if he was at sea.
Jones, Parry, Williams on Lleyn, Hughes, Thomas on Anglesey/Caernarvonshire, Blunt, Davies, Lee in Dudley, Staffs
Cox, Humphreys and Keech, Bedford
My website http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 April 20 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
Very busy at the moment - something of help for anybody else who has some free time is the following info:
The Welsh patronymic 'surname' system complicates things in this case. Evan Jones is the son of Thomas Jones and his name in the Parish Marriage Register is given as Evan Thomas. Similarily Elizabeth Parry, daughter of Thomas Parry, appears as Elizabeth Thomas.

January 22nd  1856  at the Parish Church of Tydweiliog/Tudweiliog :
Evan Thomas   Full Age  Bachelor  Sailor   Residence: Rhôs y llan   Father: Thomas Jones - Labourer.
Elizabeth Thomas   Full Age    Spinster   -    Tyddyn-difyr   Father: Thomas Parry - Sailor.

By Banns   Evan signed   mark of Elizabeth   Witnesses  Richard Davies/Ann Parry (mark)

Can be viewed on Find My Past.

Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 April 20 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
There's a problem with the 1861 Census for this area on Ancestry. The Transcript and Image have gone out of sequence. The Transcript is correct but wrong image.
The family, surname Thomas are at National School House, Llangwnadl(e), Caernarvonshire. Evan 27 Mariner born Tudweiliog  RG09/4333/21/4  Find my Past.
Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 April 20 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
Suggestion as to marriages of parents of Evan & Elizabeth:

Evan   -  26/07/1831  Thomas Jones, Tudweiliog  TO  Catherine Jones, Penllech.

Elizabeth   -   Thomas Parry, Rhiw   TO   Anne Owen,  Penllech.

Emyr

Offline Owenthomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 June 23 03:38 BST (UK) »
I hope i can restart this thread, since i have additional information. I can start another thread, if that would be better. I now have the marriage certificate if William Jones. He was married to Anne Thomas on July 6, 1832 at Tudweliog. I have not been able to find a birth nor death certificate for ether of them. I have looked through many 1841 & 1851 census, but have not been able to find them either.

I also have the birth certificate of their son Evan, which clearly shows Thomas and Anne as parents. Evan was born April 8, 1833 and baptized June 5, 1833 at Brynrodyn Chapel, Carnarvonshire.

Any additional information on this family would be much appreciated.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 June 23 05:55 BST (UK) »
I can see that bapt on FreeREG

+
ELIZABETH Jones bapt 25 Oct 1835/born 01 Oct 1835

Entries have Fathers place Tydweiliog

So could this be them in 1841 Census living there?

Jone Jones 60
Thomas Jones 30 Labourer
Ann Jones 30
Evan Jones 8***
Elizabeth Jones 5***
John Jones 2
Richard Thomas 2 Weeks

There are a couple of 1839 Birth Reg GRO for a John Jones Pwllheli mmn THOMAS

Such a hard name to research and I may be way off here?

EDIT same Family in 1851;
Jane Williams 71 Head Widow
Thomas Jones 43 Son
Anne Jones 42 Daug in Law
John Jones 12
Jane Jones 6
Janet Jones 4

JONES, JANE mmn THOMAS 
GRO Reference: 1845  D Quarter in PWLLHELI UNION  Volume 27  Page 344

JONES, JANNET mmn   THOMAS 
GRO Reference: 1847  M Quarter in PWLLHELI UNION  Volume 27  Page 377

I'm hopeful it is right :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 June 23 10:10 BST (UK) »
There was ann Evan Jones baptised at CALVINISTIC METHODIST, TYDWEILIOG, on 5th June 1833, son of Thomas and Ann, which ties in with the censuses mentioned by Trish.

Also Elizabeth on 25th October 1835

The 1841 census has his probable mother as Jane Jones, presumably the Jane Williams in 1851.

David

P.S. Sorry, I see you have some of the above already.

Offline Owenthomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 June 23 15:58 BST (UK) »
I am a little confused now. Trish said that Elizabeth Jones was baptized on 25 Oct 1835/born 01 Oct 1835. But I show Evans wife’s maiden name was Elizabeth Parry. She was baptized on October 2, 1831. Her father was William Parry and mother Anne Owen.

I think you are correct about the 1841 Census of Evans Family. He would have been 8 at that point, being born April 8, 1833. I think the Elizabeth in this census entry is Evans sister, not his wife.  Is the person you have named Jone Jones actually Jane Jones? Census says she is female. I have not seen the name Jone in the past. Could that be Thomas Jones mother? Was it common to have your parent live in same house? I assume she is at the top because she is the oldest.

I am not aware of the house Ty Forgan showing on the 1841 census. Is there some where to identify where that was located? We went to Llyn peninsula last year and went to some of the ancestors homes, but was not aware of this one at that time.

Also a couple questions on the 1851 census. That seems like the logical family. Is the Jane Williams a different person than the 1841 census, or could it be the Williams was her maiden name of Jane (or Jone) Jones in the 1841 census?  Also I assume we don’t see Evan because he was 18yo and probably not living there. Exciting that there are some additional children (so new relatives!). I could not find that census though. Can you direct me where to look?

Thank you both so much for the time you took to look into this. Hopefully over time, i will learn all the places to look and ways to research.

Owen thomas