Author Topic: Bethell-McCoy Liverpool  (Read 5896 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bethell-McCoy Liverpool
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 April 20 14:48 BST (UK) »
1861 Liverpool Workhouse creed register on FindMyPast - Mary is second from the bottom of the page:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS%2FLIVERPOOL%2F004633714%2F00481&parentid=PRS%2FLIVERPOOL%2FWORKHOUSE%2F0094495
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DVB-Antwerp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 April 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you all again.. still some difficulties to get into the links you supply.. But in the meantime I get a pretty good picture. In some old files I have (since 2004), I already "suspected" William (1818-1848) to have been a printer, but I was not sure. Now I am.. I also found a poem, written for Rvd Thomas Spencer in 1812 and printed by W. Bethell. It seems to confirm that William (grandpa of "our" Willian Bethell ° 1842) already had the printing company with his wife Mary Ann.
Not being familiar with British "names", where does the "Colgrave/Cotgrave" come from?
How can I find out where/when Mary McCoy and Mary Ann X were born? I tried to google Dundakistom(?) but there does not seem to be any city or place in Ireland that matches..
If I would like a birth certificate, can somebody obtain that for me, I'll pay the cost..

This part of the family story again has gripped me, I can't put it aside..

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 April 20 12:03 BST (UK) »
William Bethell, printer, married Mary Ann Skelton at St Anne's church, Liverpool on 10 April 1815

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 April 20 12:35 BST (UK) »
Death of William Bethell the grandfather, 28 August 1834 

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 April 20 20:24 BST (UK) »

How can I find out where/when Mary McCoy and Mary Ann X were born? I tried to google Dundakistom(?) but there does not seem to be any city or place in Ireland that matches..
If I would like a birth certificate, can somebody obtain that for me, I'll pay the cost..

Consensus of opinion on other thread is Dundalk.
Births of both women were before civil registration of births began so there were no birth certificates.
Cowban

Offline DVB-Antwerp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 April 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hello all, thank you so far. As I still want to find whatever interesting data, I am afraid the Mary McCoy trail will be difficult. As she seems not to have been married to William Bethell, nor to Mr Parkinson, why would she have been noted as widow of Parkinson?
If I can then  concentrate on Mary Ann Skelton (her "mother in law"), I wonder if their marriage records would reveal her parents? I found the "note" that there were married indeed in 1815. As I am "far away", could anybody obtain that record with details for me, I will pay the costs..
Thanks,

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 April 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
The 1815 marriage record will not give you any information on her parents. However we know from the 1851 and 1861 censuses that she was born in Harrington, Cumberland. Here is a likely baptism:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N5C4-928

Offline DVB-Antwerp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 April 20 19:47 BST (UK) »
For ShaunJ: if she was 50 in 1841 (your list of the family at Whitechapel, on April 9), she must have been born 1791 or so..

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 April 20 20:02 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 census, ages of adults were rounded down to the nearest 5 years. So someone who declared themselves to be 54 would be rounded down to 50. And many people lied about how old they were.