Author Topic: Sarah Barden  (Read 5301 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Barden
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Witnesses:

William Gillham 1698 -- Richard Page, Richard Boots (possibly Roots)  and John Osben (Osbourne perhaps)

John Gilham 1675 -- Thomas Awcocke & John Fleete  - maybe put a snip of Thomas Awcocke on the deciphering board, it's a bit tricky.

Mary Gilham 1685 --  Willliam Rootes, John Fleete and Ann Packham (marriage of a lady by this name in Fletching 1690)

Alice Gilham 1681 -- John , Jane and Benjamin Fleete

William Homewood 1734 -- Thomas Coomber , Plesent Sharp and Thomas Hall - the latter two married each other in Poling 1735

William Homewood 1751 -- William Foord, Elizabeth Foord and Thomas Roff

Well - I think that's what they all are, but I'm open to correction  ;)

Claire

PS - wonder who the Fleet family were - they appear as witnesses in several of the Wills

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 02:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Witnesses:

William Gillham 1698 -- Richard Page, Richard Boots (possibly Roots)  and John Osben (Osbourne perhaps)

John Gilham 1675 -- Thomas Awcocke & John Fleete  - maybe put a snip of Thomas Awcocke on the deciphering board, it's a bit tricky.

Mary Gilham 1685 --  Willliam Rootes, John Fleete and Ann Packham (marriage of a lady by this name in Fletching 1690)

Alice Gilham 1681 -- John , Jane and Benjamin Fleete

William Homewood 1734 -- Thomas Coomber , Plesent Sharp and Thomas Hall - the latter two married each other in Poling 1735

William Homewood 1751 -- William Foord, Elizabeth Foord and Thomas Roff

Well - I think that's what they all are, but I'm open to correction  ;)

Claire

PS - wonder who the Fleet family were - they appear as witnesses in several of the Wills

Hi Claire

Thanks for those, they certainly clarify what I thought the names were.

I'll see if I can find anything out about the those Fleete people and see if they're connected with anyone. I think I have enough to start building up a family tree for these families now which is good.

Who did that Ann Packham marry by the way? I have other Packhams in my family tree in Fletching and it would be interesting to know if she is related.

Another update tomorrow. Off to check out some more wills now, for the Page, Pollard and Roffey/Roffie families.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Anne Packham married James Marten 15 June 1690 Fletching

Claire

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Anne Packham married James Marten 15 June 1690 Fletching

Claire

I thought it was her! James and Anne are my ancestors as well! The Martin/Marten line marries into the Botting line, which links with Page family via Sarah Page [alias Bardin/Barden].

Isn't it funny how these names and families crop up again and again.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire and John

Can either of you see if you can locate these wills online?

William Homerd [Homewood] of Fletching
Dated 10 October 1661 Probate 15 May 1663

Anne Page widow of Fletching
March 1641

John Pollard of Fletching
Probate 11 December 1634

I've found most of the other wills relating to the families we've looked at here [Page, Homewood, Gilham, Roffie] but these are proving elusive.

If anyone can locate them it will be a great help.

Also can you guys [or anyone else] take a look at the 1677 will of Richard Page

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DRH9-ZDM?cat=685691

After the bit where he mentions his wife Dorothy he refers to "Anne ye wife of...…"

Any ideas on what her husband's name is?

Ok more from me tomorrow, I'm trying to put together a tree for the Page family (I've managed to do one for the Homewood family).

Thanks for any suggestions and help
Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

I think Ann's husband is Reginald(er) Jarvice (Jarvis) - though I cant find any records for him yet

claire

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

I think Ann's husband is Reginald(er) Jarvice (Jarvis) - though I cant find any records for him yet

claire

Hi Claire

That roughly what I thought it was but I've not seen a name like it before. Like you I can't find any reference to him in any records yet.

Just doing some groundwork on the Homewood Page families today. The Homewoods are ok but there is a puzzle regarding the Page family.

I have wills for Francis Page [dated 1696] and David Page [dated 1693/94] who are father and son.

We can be certain these are father and son based on the contents of these wills

In his will Francis refers to "my son in law Richard Willard of Chiddingly" and also mentions his "three grandchildren Marie Willard, Richard Willard and Francis Willard"

In his 1693/94 will David Page refered to "Mary, Richard & Frances Willard ye children of my brother in law Richard Willard of Chddingly"

So clearly both David Page and Richard Willard's wife were children of Francis Page who died in 1696. Oddly he mentions his son David in his will but it could have been written before David died.

Anyhow here is the odd thing.

David named his nephew "Francis Page son & heir of my brother Edmund Page of Maresfield" as his sole executor.

I've established that Francis married Mary Pritchet in June 1643 at Fletching. They had the following children who were all christened at Fletching:

Mary Page 1643
Edmund Page 1646
David Page 1648
Mary Page 1651
Frances Page 1655

Frances Page married Richard Willard in Chiddingly in 1678 and the three children named above in the wills above were born there in the 1680s.

Now the executor David names is "Francis Page son & heir of my brother Edmund Page of Maresfield"

We know that the Francis Page who married Anne Homewood was christened in Maresfield in March 1688/89 and was apparently the son of Edmund Page [possibly Edward].

He'd only about 5ish in 1693/94 so surely not old enough to be the executor of his uncle David's will.

I can't see any other Francis Pages who are sons of Edmund though.

The other odd thing is this. There is an Edward Page born in Buxted in 1660 who appears to have been the son of an Edmund Page born in Buxted in 1641. This Edward would certainly be old enough to be the father of Francis Page born in 1688/89.

It looks to me like we are missing a Francis Page somewhere. I think the one born in Maresfield in 1688/89 is more likely to be the son of Edward/Edmund Page who was born in 1660, than the son of the Edmund born 1646. Edward/Edmund [1660] doesn't seem to have a brother called David also.

I just wish I could find another Francis Page born to Edmund probably in the 1660s or 1670s who I could be certain was old enough to be the executor of that will.

Definitely a puzzle.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 02:21 BST (UK) »
I may have a solution.

Is there any sign of a christening for Francis Page in the Fletching area between the 1600s and 1620s?

I'll post a proper update tomorrow.

Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

I’ve looked at this and can’t find a baptism of a Francis Page (yet) - I also can’t find an Edmond/Edward Page marriage to fit the bill either, unless he married further afield and I’ve found a couple in London which I’m looking into - it was only a 40 mile horse ride away  ;D

Best wishes
Claire