Author Topic: Haggart Family, Lochgilphead  (Read 1244 times)

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haggart Family, Lochgilphead
« on: Wednesday 08 April 20 13:49 BST (UK) »
I had hoped to be in Edinburgh this week to do some research but due to Coronavirus that couldn't happen.
I wonder if anyone might know anything of the family of James Haggart (born about 1838 died 1908 Ballachulish) and his wife Isabella MacInnes (born about 1833 died 1905 Lochgilphead)
Their family were -
Duncan born about 1859 died 1946 at 7 Union Street Lochgilphead (married to Catherine McAlpine )
Ann Haggart born about 1861
Hugh Haggart born about 1864 died 1952 at Willowbank, Kilchrenan (married to Mary Ferguson)
Mary Haggart born about 1864 (married her first cousin Donald McGregor)
Sarah Haggart born about 1866 died 1886
James Haggart born 1867

Duncan and Catherine McAlpine had seven known children -
Sarah Haggart born 1887
Annie McColl Haggart born 1889 who married a widower Frederick Blythe at Lochgilphead 1920
Isabella Haggart born 1891
John McAlpine Haggart born 1892 died 1967 unmarried
James Haggart born 1895
Mary McAlpine Haggart 1897 died 1968 unmarried
Duncan Haggart born 1899

It is the family of Duncan Haggart and his wife Catherine McAlpine I am interested in.

Thank you
abrach1

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Haggart Family, Lochgilphead
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 14:37 BST (UK) »
Do you have all the relevant birth, marriage and death certificates for the dates you have mentioned?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 17:00 BST (UK) »
I have quite a few of the BMD certificates - some of the birth dates I am going by the census ages.
 I suspect that James Haggart who was actually born on 22nd Sept 1954 married a lady names Boynton in Keighley, Yorkshire. He was the informant on his father's death certificate and his home address was in Keighley.
When Duncan died in 1946 his occupation was retired foreman joiner, but when he got married in 1886, both he and his wife were asylum attendants.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 19:51 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking under McTaggart ?
SP has a possible 1856 marriage for a James McTaggart / Isabella McInnes in Appin Argyll.
Familysearch has marriage , with those names , dated 3rd January 1856 , Lismore Argyll.

Duncan Haggart , born 1858 ?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYYL-9DW

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 23:00 BST (UK) »
McTaggart - well done - thank you. That was where they were married according to ine of their childrens birth certificate. She was from Glencoe.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 April 20 20:36 BST (UK) »
Going by by the 1881 Census it looks like James and Isabella had another son Malcolm Haggert b.1871 Lochgilphead Argyll(SP).
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYYL-89J
Born 13th April 1871 , so just missed the 1871 Census.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records