Author Topic: Johanna Cheasty nee Whelan, Dunhill Ballyleen  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Per01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johanna Cheasty nee Whelan, Dunhill Ballyleen
« on: Wednesday 08 April 20 18:53 BST (UK) »
I would love to find out about Johanna Cheasty, I have found her grave with her three youngest sons but I have been unable to discover anything else about her. I have looked on the 1901 and 1911 census to no avail. I understand from sources her maiden name was Powers and her first husband was called Michael Whelan. Any information on Michael would also be amazing as I have yet to find any evidence of him. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Johanna Cheasty nee Whelan, Dunhill Ballyleen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 21:32 BST (UK) »
What is the information from the grave?  Year of birth ...death?  Names of sons?  Years of their birth ..death?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 23:31 BST (UK) »
I can see five deaths of adult Johanna (and variations) Cheasty in Co Waterford. 4 in Waterford Reg district and one in Kilmacthomas.

I can see a Johanna Whelan marriage to a John Cheasty but it gives her as a spinster.

There is a Thomas Cheasty and Mary Power having children in Waterford from 1901 and possibly earlier and a Nicholas Cheasty and Cathering Power from 1919, I don't see a Johanna, these are all fairly recent, was your Johanna before Civil registrations began? You can see how it's impossible to help you without more information particularly some idea of dates.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 23:55 BST (UK) »

So you're looking for Johanna Cheasty nee Whelan and you understand from sources her maiden name was Powers ?? 

Doesn't make any sense!

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 April 20 00:09 BST (UK) »
Must admit I hadn't noticed the address, there is a death of Johanna (Annie) Cheasty, Knockeen, buried next to Dunhill church in 1961. No family details given.

Seems to be quite a few Cheastys in Dunhill.

Found her death cert she was single.

Offline Per01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 April 20 01:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the responses. The information on the headstone is Johanna Cheasty nee Whelan died 7th March 1960 aged 83 years. Their sons Edward Cheasty died 6th July 1995 aged 74 years, Geoffrey Cheasty died 7th May 2002 aged 83 years and Patrick Cheasty died 15th November 2004 aged 87. Her husband and their father Richard Cheasty who died on December 18th 1954 is also with them.

Johanna was married before to a Michael Whelan who died, their marriage produced two sons. One of them is a relation, Martin Whelan born in November 1904, I have been unable to find his birth certificate. Confirmation of Powers as Johanna's maiden name came from a reliable family source, it is also believed they lived in a town called Kill.

I would really appreciate any guidance or information on how to find the birth date of Johanna or anything at all on Michael Whelan. Thank you again for your interest.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 April 20 02:05 BST (UK) »
Johanna CHEASTY
Date of Death   1960
Group Registration ID   1934657
SR District/Reg Area   Kilmacthomas
Deceased Age at Death   83

Widow of a farmer.

Informant Geoffrey Cheasty
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 April 20 02:14 BST (UK) »
The birth of a Geoffrey CHEASTY in 1919 in ballyleen. Gives the parents as Richard CHEASTY and Annie CHEASTY was whelan.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 April 20 02:22 BST (UK) »
RIchard CHEASTY
Date of Death   1955
Group Registration ID   2496752
SR District/Reg Area   Waterford
Deceased Age at Death   80