Author Topic: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 9)  (Read 11874 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 9 - Lockdown)
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 09 April 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
Pharma, in your reply #20 can you please explain what you mean when you say:

5. In the UK we have a high threshold for admission to hospital I would like a study to do a comparison between our policy and that in other countries.

(I think I understand but just want to be sure)

:)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 09 April 20 14:26 BST (UK) »
Pharma, in your reply #20 can you please explain what you mean when you say:

5. In the UK we have a high threshold for admission to hospital I would like a study to do a comparison between our policy and that in other countries.

(I think I understand but just want to be sure)

:)

People are generally being kept at home unless their oxygen sats fall below 90%, normal unless someone has a condition like COPD would be over 94% preferably more like 97/98%.  Even with a persistent high temperature people rare not necessarily being admitted. I am not sure what criteria they use elsewhere but I'd be interested if it is the same or different.

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 09 April 20 14:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pharma - that is what I thought you meant.  :)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 09 April 20 15:14 BST (UK) »
The Scottish Government, after recommending vitamin D supplements to keep folk out of hospital, is being pressed by experts to go further with a supply delivered to every household for the duration of the pandemic. We don't get enough sunshine at the best of times & even less with this lockdown.

Skoosh.

Which is why you are allowed to go outside for exercise, even if you have to drive there.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 09 April 20 15:23 BST (UK) »
No, you've got it wrong! Didn't you hear President Trump recommending zinc yesterday? I mean, if he thinks so, it must be right....
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 09 April 20 15:32 BST (UK) »
I appreciate your tongue in cheek (I assume!) comment Jill and this is in no way a defence of the man, but actually the highly esteemed Doctor Michael Moseley had recommended zinc tablets in an article some weeks ago!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 09 April 20 15:34 BST (UK) »
The Scottish Government, after recommending vitamin D supplements to keep folk out of hospital, is being pressed by experts to go further with a supply delivered to every household for the duration of the pandemic. We don't get enough sunshine at the best of times & even less with this lockdown.

Skoosh.

Which is why you are allowed to go outside for exercise, even if you have to drive there.
Cheers
Guy

But you don't have to drive to go outside.  You may have to drive to go somewhere more intersting, more beautiful etc but you can walk along the street. 

The biggest issue with driving elsewhere to go walking is that increases the radius of movement of people.  A virus cannot move itself, it is moved by people.  Therefore going to a completely different area for your walk or going shopping several miles away (when there are several other supermarkets in between not when it's miles to the nearest one) increases the potential for spread and can seed new clusters in new areas. 
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 09 April 20 15:36 BST (UK) »
Sensible, competent thoughts and suggestions / information, PharmaT, you are a reliable source of commonsense and informed thought. Very comforting. Thanks.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 09 April 20 15:37 BST (UK) »
Guy, in Scotland you're not encouraged to drive anywhere for exercise, so walk. You're allowed to drive to get the rations in and that's about it! The National Parks are closed, the mountain bothies are closed & the Mountain Rescue teams are a skeleton only, so keep off the hills. The guys are away helping distribute food etc, to folk in remote places anyway as public transport is pretty minimal. Calmac's ferries are turning away non-essential vehicles trying to get to the islands.  The west-coast fishery is closed pro-tem & the tourist season is written-off this year as far as can be forseen.
 In Glasgow the parks are open for exercise but the car-parks have been closed by the Polis who are monitoring folks behaviour. Swing-parks are closed ditto the municipal golf courses & libraries. Easter will be interesting!! 

Skoosh.