Author Topic: A Dec. Q. 1843 Marriage between Joseph Charles BALL and Eliza GOODYER, Ringwood  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi, Everyone,
I was wondering whether there is anyone privy to the PR's of Ringwood who could give me details of a  marriage registered in December quarter 1843, between a Joseph Charles BALL and an Eliza GOODYER.
Or at least if not in the parish of Ringwood, then in another nearby in the district covered by Ringwood at that time.
Joseph was a miller, who appears in Salisbury, Wiltshire in the 1851 Census, and I would very much like to discover who his parents might have been.  From his age given in subsequent Censuses he seems to have been born in about 1814 in Sherfield, Hampshire.
Many thanks in advance,
Keith

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Dec. Q. 1843 Marriage between Joseph Charles BALL and Eliza GOODYER, Ringwood
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 08:15 BST (UK) »
Not  got PR's just looking for him in 1841 - possibly Ancestry has him as Joseph Bell living in Whiteparish, not absolutely sure on this, and English baptisms have him as Joseph Charles Ball baptised 20th October 1813  at Saint Leonard,Sherfield English,Hampshire.  Father: Josiah Ball  Mother: Catharine

There are trees on Ancestry for him, with both parents dying in 1830's.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Dec. Q. 1843 Marriage between Joseph Charles BALL and Eliza GOODYER, Ringwood
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 08:19 BST (UK) »
Wow, Chempat!
That's a great piece of detective work on my behalf.  Thanks so much...must now have a closer look at Sherfield on a map.
Keith

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 08:40 BST (UK) »
Looking at newspaper mentions, he was the operator of Town Mills in Salisbury at least from 1835, possibly earlier. He doesn't appear to be there in the 1841 census but there is a Sophia Ball, 40, living in Mill Yard (with a servant) who must surely be a relative.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Shaun, good to know you're still active on here, and pulling rabbits out of that hat of yours!
Thanks so much for that, on the 1882 marriage certificate of his son George BALL Joseph Charles is referred to as "Miller".
Regards, Keith

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith. There's an 1823 PCC will for Joseph Ball, miller, of New Sarum who I think is your man's grandfather. It mentions daughter Sophia and son Josiah, and also a servant Sarah Glendenning who is with Sophia in 1841 (and is also mentioned in Sophia's 1843 will).

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 09:40 BST (UK) »
More incredible stuff, Shaun,
Presumably I'll be able to get a copy of that from The National Archives.  Good work indeed!  And pushing/rolling back the BALL family another generation, most likely, well into the 18thC, which I always find exciting.
Keith

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 09:53 BST (UK) »
Those PCC wills are viewable on Ancestry and TheGenealogist.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 10:15 BST (UK) »
Josiah died intestate so there is no will for him. Administration was granted to his second wife Susannah (that's in the Wiltshire wills on Ancestry).