Author Topic: Help with dating photograph taken in Knockholt, Kent please  (Read 747 times)

Offline elvisthelurcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with dating photograph taken in Knockholt, Kent please
« on: Wednesday 15 April 20 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, another photograph from my dad's collection of which he has no idea who the people are, but is pretty sure that they are family, and that it was taken in Knockholt, Kent.

Would anybody kindly be able to date the photograph, and or possible ages of the people? Also any clues to their relationship from the posing of the photograph?

Many thanks,
Matt

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with dating photograph taken in Knockholt, Kent please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 22:59 BST (UK) »
I would suggest 1905/10 and Possibly parents seated and Son and Daughter at the back, the lady has her hands on the shoulders of the seated couple which suggest a familial connection. The lady at the back doesn't appear to be wearing a wedding ring. The lady at the front looks to be a bit older than the man next to her, but her posture may make her appear older, I would say they were in their 70s.  It always helps to include the back, I'm guessing that this is a postcard.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 April 20 00:11 BST (UK) »
Bowler hats were in fashion with the working class before they became popular with the rest of society, so the date could be turn of the century.
I think it is elderly mother in her late 70s, and three of her children, ages between mid40s and mid50s. I don’t think the seated man is old enough to be husband to seated woman, or to be father to the others.

I like the photo; the faces are full of character.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline elvisthelurcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 April 20 07:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies, that certainly gives me something to work with!