Author Topic: John Bedford McElligott born between 1825 and 1833  (Read 571 times)

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Bedford McElligott born between 1825 and 1833
« on: Friday 17 April 20 11:18 BST (UK) »
I wasn't sure where to put this enquiry, so.....
John B McElligot was born between 1825 and 1833 in Marylebone.  He married Rebecca Norris in Kensington in 1852. About 1865, he dropped the Mc from his name and died in Barrow on Soar, Leics aged 54 in 1887.
I have two queries; first can someone please look at the full report that appeared in West London Observer on 28 April 1866 which mentions "Mr Elligott turncock to West Middlesex Water works" in an article headlined Fatal Fire at Kensington, and let me know what it says.
And secondly, can anyone find his baptism or marriage online which will give me his father's name and occupation.  I know I could order the GRO cert for his marriage but ordering historical records is being discouraged at the moment.
Thanks in advance   :D :D
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Bedford McElligott born between 1825 and 1833
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 20 11:36 BST (UK) »
You are in luck the marriage is online.

Father Maurice McElligott cordwainer

John was a servant
residence at time of marriage Oxford Terrace

Rebecca has same address.
Her father Edward Norris baker
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 April 20 11:44 BST (UK) »
I think that will open a few doors.  Maurice is on census as a cordwainer with a wife Caroline and several children  :D
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 April 20 11:50 BST (UK) »
In 1841 Marylebone as ELLIOTT
Maurice Elliott  35
 Caroline Elliott  35
 Caroline Elliott  10
 John Elliott  7
 Jemima Elliott  5
 Richard Elliott  3
 Mary Elliott  10 Mo

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 April 20 12:08 BST (UK) »
Lovely!  Thank you Maureen and Millipede!
I hadn't found him (John) in 1841 - but the name (Mc)Elligott was already challenging without throwing in Elliot!  Will have a look at 1841 census.

John's middle name was Bedford - I wonder if that was his mother, Caroline's maiden name.  Need to find their marriage now!  :D

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 April 20 15:26 BST (UK) »
There is a Caroline Stone marriage to Maurice McElligott 14 Dec 1830 St George Hanover Square Westminster.

Daughter Caroline Sophia baptised less than a year later 27 Jul 1831. 

Both of this parish but I note from census Maurice was originally from Ireland. 

Well done Maureen I couldn't find the 1841 entry. 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 April 20 15:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks    :D  - using GRO BMD, I've just worked out the mother's maiden name was Stone, so that fits nicely.

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 21:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Millipede and MaureeninNY, I have the answer to the second part of my question and enough additional info to fill out the earlier part of the tree, but I would be really grateful if someone could look up the April 1866 "Fatal fire in Kensington" article for me and tell me what it says about Mr Elligott the turncock.  Thanks in anticipation   :D

Online IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 21:21 BST (UK) »
Fatal Fire Kensington. morning las*, between one and two o'clock, fire broke out nt No. 3. King Street, Kensington, the occupation of Mr. R. Hooke, bootmaker. Tho Kensington Volunteer Fire Brigade, under Mr. Superintendent Palmer, were qu ckly the spot with their engine, and having fixed that at one end of the street and standpipe at the other they speedsl v obtained mastery over the flames. Mr. ami Mrs. Hooke made their escape jumping f.-om the window; but unfortunately their grandchild, Robert Jeffries, aged years, was left in the house, and perished in the flames. Several attempts were made bv the Escape Conductor and firemen to rescue him, hut without success. The Brompton Volunteers, with their steam fire-engine, and three others of the Metropolitan Brigade attended, followed by tho Notting Hill Volunteers and tho Bays water engine, under Superintendent Campbell, Part of the house wa* gutted, and the rest, together with the adjoining premises of Mr. Simpeoo,. builder, was severely damaged bv fire and water. We are informed that the workmen of Messrs. Tucker also rendere.l great as•istance with the engine the firm, and exerted themselves much playing the flames with their hose over the roof of the Tuesday Mr. Bird held Inquest nt the Workhouse, Kensington, on the body of deceased.—Henry Roberts deposed that he knew deceased, who was the son Robert Jeffries, butler.—Joseph Mason stated that was the fire-escape conductor for Kensington, the previous morning, shortly after one o’clock, witness called to a fire i* King Street, at the house of Mr. Hook, a shoemaker ; the house was flames at hack. Witness attempted to enter the house at the front, but was unable so. Proceeded to the Hack, but wa* alike unsuccessful. During th« fire witnere was informed of deceased being the hnure. Between 3 and the fire was extinguished on search being made for deceased found among the ruins.—Verdict ** Accidentally Burnt to Death.*' Fire tit Devonshire Terrace, Nottiho Him,.— the Hill Volunteer Fire Brigade were returning on Tuesday morning from tho fire in King Street, Kensington, they discovered smoke issuing through the shatters of Mr. Cutclitfe, silversmith, 12, Devonshire Terrace. Netting Hill, Engineer Lowe got, the inmates, consisting of Mr. Cutcliffe, his wife, child, and servant over the roof their night dre-v»es into the house adjoining. The Volunteers then burst open the door, and-found large fire ragiag the back parlor, which wa* filled with crate* of goods, packed in hay, straw, Ac. Having obtained the assistance of two steam engines and the Escape Conductors from the fire in King Street, they went to work under the superintendence of Mr. Dunford, and about an hour the fire was extinguished, being confined to the shop and parlor. The property destroyed was tntured in the Sun and tho house the Law Fire Office. Fire at Kensington.—On Thursday night last most alarming fire broke o*it about ten o'clock on the fremises of Mr. Jarvis, Comchandler, No. 4, Craven lace, Kensington. The Kensington Volunteer Fire Brigade, under Mr. Superintendent Palmer, were soon on the spot with their engine, and speedily got to work amidst the cheering of the assembled The premises were entirely gutted, and the adjoining premises the occupation of Mr. Fuller, greengrocer, and Mr. Horsnail, hair-cutter and perfumer, were damaged water. The flames, which could he seenfor miles round, attracted gieat concourse of people* to the place. The fire wa* quickly got under the Kensington Brigade, a capital supply of water being given Mr. Elligott, turncock to the West Middlesex Water Works. The Bavswater Engine, under Superintendent Campbell, the Volunteers with their engine, and thirteen engines of the Metropolitan Brigade under Captain Shaw, following in quick succession from Town. Having been on the spot at the outbreak, bear willing testimony to the exertions of Palmer and his *latf. ns also the energetic and thoroughly active exertions of the New Volunteer Brigade, with their handsome s'eara engine; they are really pattern their neighbours, and deserve the fullest commendation.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex