Author Topic: John Downie born Portpatrick c 1849  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Downie born Portpatrick c 1849
« on: Sunday 19 April 20 21:13 BST (UK) »

John was born c 1849 one of three sons of Oliver Downie and Margaret Gordon..

I have marriage and death information for Oliver , Margaret ,James and William but John is proving very difficult to find .Last time I have John is on the 1871 census .

Jessie

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Downie born Portpatrick c 1849
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 April 20 01:38 BST (UK) »
Where was he in 1871.  Can't see an entry matching the profile given

One b 1865 - parents Oliver & Margaret but you give 1849 as his birthyear - surname shown as Downey
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 April 20 03:47 BST (UK) »
The 1871 census transcription I am looking at has Oliver Donney, 48, born Ireland; Margaret Gordon Donney, 47, born Ireland; daughter Martha Donney, 20, born Portpatrick; son John Donney, 6, born Portpatrick; daughter Margaret Watson, 1, born Kirkcolm.

In 1851 Oliver Downey, 32, is a farm servant in the household of William McCrackin and Margaret Downie, 28 and Martha Downie, 1, are visitors in the household of Patrick and Agnes Molloy in Penninghame.

The IGI lists two sons of Oliver Downie and Margaret Gordon: James, baptised 18 February 1849; and John, born 30 July 1864. The latter exactly matches the six-year-old in the 1871 census.

As James is not with either parent in 1851, it seems probable that he died in infancy.

Margaret Howatson Downey, born in Kirkcolm in 1869, is Martha's illegitimate daughter.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 April 20 10:13 BST (UK) »
Martha Downie married Hugh Gordon in Kirkcolm in 1874.

In the 1881 census in Kirkcolm are Hugh Gordon, 26; wife Martha Gordon, 30, born Inch; children Susan, 6; John, 5; William, 3; Oliver Downie, 2, and Margaret, 1.

Martha Downie, other surname Gordon, died in Ayr in 1910, aged 60.

Oliver Downie Gordon, aged 79, died in Ayr in 1958. He is probably the Oliver Downie Gordon who married Elizabeth Watson or McKie in Ayr in 1912, but probably not the one who married Helen Hughes Lee in Ayr in 1951, and obviously not the one who married Marion Murphy Dickie or Harvey in Ayr in 1963. The last, and probably the second, is the one born in Ayr in 1928.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 20 12:05 BST (UK) »
Jessie

Same 1871 entry I found.  As James - not John - was b 1849 and does not appear on the 1871 entry - can you clarify which son you are referring to?

If it is James - then see reply re non appearance on 1851 entry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 April 20 13:11 BST (UK) »

Apologies it was James I was looking for . .

You were correct with all  your information Forfarian -- Oliver Downie Gordon  was married  to Elizabeth McKie  he died  in 1958 in Ayr . I have all the other information on the rest of the family.
Once again my sincere apologies
Regards,

Jessie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 April 20 13:19 BST (UK) »
Ah. You didn't mention Martha in your first post in this thread so I assumed you didn't have her information.