Author Topic: Diary Monday 20 April 2020  (Read 949 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary Monday 20 April 2020
« on: Monday 20 April 20 08:54 BST (UK) »
Just to continue a bit more on bus situation last night, just to get it off my chest. 
I managed to get in a disagreement with a man regarding the bus timetable.  He told me that he had been around the corner waiting for his bus but it hadn't come and asked when the bus here was  due.  I told him the time (once an hour) and he looked at the new coronavirus timetable taped up.  He said I was wrong and rattled off all the times he believed the bus would be coming - about seven an hour!  Goodness, there wasn't that many even when there wasn't a coronavirus situation! I explained the first line related to when the bus was due to leave the station and the other times related to the time the bus was due to reach other destinations listed.  He kept insisting  I was wrong and read off the times he expected bus to be due in an hour.  You would think in one way it would be just common sense to realise at a time like now the bus company would not be suddenly increasing the buses, especially not later at night on a Sunday.  I couldn't be bothered to sustain an argument so I just said "Okay, you ask the bus driver to tell you how many buses come in an hour, when they turn up."

Bus didn't come on time so I went to seek another driver to ask about things.  He said other driver "must be running late" but added that he didn't know why either as not much traffic on the roads.  This driver said if I wanted, on his route, he could take me a bit further out than I wanted to go and I could just walk back.  I said this was no good for me to be taken further and that I was on nightshift and this would make me late.  At this point the bus I needed showed up.  I said to the driver "Thank goodness you have arrived!  I didn't think you were going to turn up!  I am going to be late for my nightshift!"  Driver didn't reply.  The man got on too and did not question the driver about the timetable - just as well really, because I didn't need being held up further.

When I got to my destination I had to run like mad to work.  I turned up breathless but at least not late.  It is not exactly a good time just now to rush in breathless anywhere .. it could potentially be alarming to some people.

All this behind me now though .. I am not in tonight so no bus anxieties today.  Early finish and bee-yoo-ti-ful  weather has me in good mood.   :D My favourite veggie items still missing from M&S (I can only presume 80% of veggie food manufacturers must have gone in to self isolation) ::).  Quite pleased to have got a few expensive items that I usually consider out of my budget at early morning knock down prices. :) 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Monday 20 April 2020
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 April 20 10:24 BST (UK) »
*note: oopsy! that was yesterday's story obvioulsy as not long enough to have done all that today yet sorry!

Any way for a mod to move this to Sunday's?

Work again today so another early start, my daughter struggled more getting up today.

My jacket wasn't dry yet from washing it last night when I come in.  My back from work routine is everything I wore to travel in straight in the washing machine and a 40C wash.  Then a shower and wash my hair before the kids are allowed to touch me.  My uniform is in a washable bag in a carrier bag and goes in the washing machine next on a 60C wash. 

My face was so tight by afternoon I felt like I was wearing a mask even when I wasn't.  My hands and forearms were burning from washing and alcohol gel.

Stopped off at the Sainsbury's local on the way home for some essentials: bread, milk, veg and cat food.  Also on the way home the seals were sunning themselves on the rocks, the deer were down in the lower fields and pheasants were displaying their complete and utter lack of road sense. 

Extra jobs to add to me get home routine but being tired I just washed he milk so I could put it in the fridge, left the rest of the stuff quarantined in the carrier bag to deal with tomorrow.  Just had a sausage muffin for dinner.

Managed to stay awake long enough to watch an episode of the show I've been binge watching before bed.

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 April 20 10:34 BST (UK) »
Haven't posted for a week or so - just the same boring routine! ;D

Cup of tea and crumpets/toasted muffin/hot X bun for breakfast.

Then outside to bask in the sunshine.

Today I did my weekly shop at Tesco; turned up early.
Then I had a 10AM pick-up at B&Q.

And that's probably my excitement for today.

Rang my daughters yesterday.
Daughter #2 is moving today to work at Nightingale, Bristol.
Daughter #1 is now on furlough, as her school is now closed. (They were catering for children of key workers)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 April 20 10:51 BST (UK) »
Spent the first two hours filling in insurance claim for a cancelled holiday. Three policies involved so it's not been straightforward.
Then I'll have time for some transcription work - see if I can finish a batch off this morning.
The lawn is complaining that it needs cutting, and I really don't want to - perhaps it'll wait till tomorrow.
Tax return is waiting to be done as well - maybe that can wait too.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 April 20 11:31 BST (UK) »
That's true PharmaT - post 1 was  me just writing up my reflection on last night whilst waiting for my bus this morning at the station.  However, last paragraph relates to today.  :)

I will be heading off to bed soon and don't expect to get much done today when I do wake up apart from having some tea and perhaps getting stuck into a book. 

Shame really as the weather is so nice, but I really am quite tired now.😴
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 April 20 11:43 BST (UK) »
River Tyne Lass

Have the rest you deserve and catch up with the weather some time later

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 April 20 20:43 BST (UK) »
Up promptly this morning to make the most of the day.  I didn't sleep too badly last night surprisingly, which may be because yesterday I pretended there was no such thing as 'lockdown'.... Usual start and then headed to the park.  Rookie error  - I forgot my  sweatshirt and was a bit chilly to start but !  I soon warmed up. Lots of dogs and dog walkers this morning.  I even did a little 'extra' loop!  Get me :)

The dreaded supermarket shop today.  I've avoided going for some weeks but needed TP, soap, paper towels....you get the gist.  It really is depressing going in.  Not too many people in masks today, but many seemed to have surgical style gloves.  I'm not sure why - they are still touching any suspect virus and transferring it around.

Some lovely bluebells have appeared in the front garden.

Unpacked  shop and did a quick anti-bac over some of the items before putting them away.  As some of you may remember I'm a bit fatalistic about this part.

Late lunch, back to the Irish who keep my mind pretty occupied.  I'm suppose to be writing up the family story - but prefer the research so am procrastinating!

There is definitely more traffic on the roads and it is much nosier than normal. Again saw an aeroplane.

Avoided the 5pm briefing. 

Chilli con carne for tea and hopefully something entertaining on the box tonight.

I sympathise the River Tyne Lass and her bus experience. Ugh!  :-X

Hoping Roobarb has managed a brighter day!

Stay safe!
CD

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 April 20 21:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your kind words and good wishes yesterday and today. I've had a better day thank you, although I must admit that since it's got dark my eyes are constantly scanning the floor for intruders!

River Tyne Lass and PharmaT, I hope you've had a good, well earned rest. RTL, I don't know how you kept your patience with the bus timetable man!

Slept really heavily last night, dragged myself slowly out of my lethargy assisted by cups of tea and reading my book, followed reluctantly by catching up with the news. Watched a bit of This Morning, they do a catch up that's easy to digest. A lazy morning, went for my walk about 11.30. Was pleased that there were less people around today and I even got to walk in the woods for a short time. Brilliant sunshine again but the wind was a direct easterly so all the cold air it picked up across the sea came straight here, it was a stronger wind today too. It was warm in the back garden near to the house though.

Sent a message to my bereaved friend, she's had such a lot of phone calls. She phoned me and I was so impressed by how much of the administrative stuff she'd managed to sort out this morning, she's quite amazing.

I've only done bits of things today, the kitchen floor got a good wash and I did some ironing but other than that I've only really done the necessary. Had a text conversation with a friend, looked at emails. Had a text from my friend who has been doing my shopping, she was going to the supermarket and asked if I wanted anything else besides the eggs and hot cross buns she hadn't managed to get a few days ago. I asked her for some more fruit, she brought it round and I washed everything, takes some time but better safe than sorry.

Just watching TV, am going to put the kettle on shortly and hope there are no more eight legged intruders in the kitchen or elsewhere. Wish me luck!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 April 20 22:06 BST (UK) »
Visited a friend  who is making masks and swabs by the hundred it would seem, left her cotton and elastic,   difficult to get hold off,  she is awaiting an order of elastic, till then she has come to  a halt

Prior to this I had to take my husband to a different surgery, still don't know if he has/ had  the virus, a nurse came out to our car with a mask for him, then the  Dr discovered my husband had a chest infection so off we went to a local hospital for the x-ray, he has been very unwell since Good Friday,  we have to wait for x-ray results in about 10 days, IF , he has had the virus I have no idea where he got it from, me, well,  was   togged up with mask and gloves today, I made  my own mask in red  and white, I felt like a bandit,  job done for today, then I am isolating just in case he had the virus

Louisa Maud

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London