Author Topic: Thomas McKie  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas McKie
« on: Monday 20 April 20 19:54 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me with information on the above. I know that he was born in Dumfries in 1830 and died in Edinburgh in 1908. He was an advocate and I have reason to believe that he was a poet and friend of William Morris. I think that he would be involved in philanthropic works but have not been able to trace these because of the library lockdown. I did find some connection with the Edinburgh Mission but no substantive information. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas McKie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 April 20 20:29 BST (UK) »
The Newspaper Archive says he stood as a Liberal candidate for Dumfresshire in 1886 and 1892 but was not elected.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 April 20 22:31 BST (UK) »
Writers to the Signet website,    www.wssociety.co.uk/

Skoosh.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 09:19 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the Register of the Society of Writers to Her Majesty's Signet. Thomas McKie is not listed in the Register.

If he was an advocate you are more likely to find useful information in the Faculty of Advocates' Library http://www.advocates.org.uk/faculty-of-advocates/the-advocates-library
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 08:31 BST (UK) »
Was Thomas McKie by any chance the brother of Robert McKie (1833-80), merchant of Dumfries who set up a flour company in Rugby then moved to Mauritius? His children were living in Marchmont Road in Edinburgh in 1881, although the Census incorrectly lists them as "McKay".

Thomas McKie apears in the Edinburgh Postal Directory (available online - https://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/archive/91168907)  in 1863-64 as an advocate residing at 4 Albyn place and in 1870-71 still as an advocate  but now resident at 1 Gloucester Place, Edinburgh. He's still at that address in 1880-81 and 1890-91.

His volume of poetry Lyrics and Sonnets (1893, D. Douglas) is listed on Google Books. There are some second hand print copies for sale online.

His attempts to be elected to Parliament are here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumfriesshire_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_1880s

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 23:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all the invaluable help greatly appreciated. I can confirm that Thomas McKie and Robert McKie are not brothers as I have Thomas's family largely accounted for. Rather surprisingly I found when looking for a will for William McKie(Jnr) that this had been recorded as "McKay"

Thomas McKie's father had a brother John McKie, probably born in Dumfries, who is shown as a merchant in Glasgow and it may be that Robert was his son. Unfortunately I have no further information on this

Online djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 April 20 20:58 BST (UK) »
Thomas McKie and Robert McKie were both born in Dumfries, three years apart, to fathers called William, but their mothers were different and there's not really enough time for a death and remarriage. The two Williams seem to have been different people.

Offline Nevada70

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 21 14:59 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't already done so, please see:

Memorials of St. Michael's: The Old Parish Churchyard of Dumfries, by William McDowall (1876), pp. 198-99:

In 1827-8-9 the Burgh was ruled over by Provost WILLIAM MCKIE, whose name we read on an adjoining monument. He was an extensive manufacturer and commission agent, prosecuting a prosperous business for many years, and being, says the [Dumfries] Courier "remarkable during his whole career for punctuality, perseverance, and untiring industry. On retiring from trade, he devoted much of his time to the charities of the town, "and evinced in other respects" great anxiety to alleviate distress, combined with an ardent zeal for the promotion of every judicious public improvement" Mr. McKie made an excellent chief-magistrate, discharging his official duties creditably to himself and so as to render his "reign" popular with the community. He died 30th May 1838, aged 66.

The monument commemorates also JAMES, his second son, bank-agent and solicitor, whose useful life was cut short on the 4th of February 1874. To the son, not less than to the father, the highest burghal rank would have been assigned by the inhabitants, through the Council, but Mr. JAMES MCKIE James repeatedly declined the proferred honour, content to use his talents and exercise his influence as a municipal commoner for the public weal. He took a great interest also in County affairs, and as a devoted member of the local Liberal party, he occupied a vanguard position on their side during the protracted struggle for the representation of Dumfriesshire in 1868-9. "As a man of business '' — we quote again from the Courier — " Mr. M'Kie was much respected and trusted: in every transaction of life he was both just and sensitively honourable, and his sagacity, acquaintance with affairs, and never-failing desire to oblige where help was deserved, rendered him a safe counsellor and a valued friend." Mr. M'Kie died when he had reached the age of 53, at his beautiful mansion, MOAT HOUSE, where his venerable mother, the sister of JAMES BROOM, resides with her daughter, and son, WILLIAM, who was formerly a manufacturer at Hawick.

THOMAS MCKIE, the well-known advocate, is another member of the family.

NOTE:  The above-referenced "Moat House" is Moat Brae in Dumfries, in which the Peter Pan Moat Brae Trust is currently housed.  Seehttps://www.peterpanmoatbrae.org/  My interest in this particular McKie family relates to the above-referenced James Broom (1795-1842), who was a prominent social reformer in Dumfries.  Brooms Road in Dumfries is named in his honor.