Author Topic: James Bailie, Kircubbin  (Read 746 times)

Offline plaidgal1355

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Bailie, Kircubbin
« on: Tuesday 21 April 20 16:36 BST (UK) »
Looking for info on James Bailie b about 1760, his wife, parents, siblings.
I believe there were 15 children:  John, Ann, Elizabeth, Esther, Hugh,  James McCullock, Jane, Jane, Jane, Margaret, Mary, Mary, Robert, William, and James.

John was born about 22 Mar 1791 in Kircubbin, and married Mary Anne McMaster in 1819. They had 7 children all born in the 1820s and 1830s, County Down.  Mary was born  14 Jul 1795, perhaps Ballycranmore.  They emigrated to Leeds, Quebec, Canada where they were given one square mile tract on which to live and improve by opening and farming.

Looking for info on the family in Ireland.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Bailie, Kircubbin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 17:11 BST (UK) »
Kirkcubbin is in the parish of Inishargy. You’ll find quite a few Bailie/Bailey families in that parish listed on this site:

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/genealogy/SURNAMES/B/Baillie.htm
Elwyn

Offline plaidgal1355

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. I'll take a look.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 18:23 BST (UK) »

John was born about 22 Mar 1791 in Kircubbin, and married Mary Anne McMaster in 1819. They had 7 children all born in the 1820s and 1830s, County Down.  Mary was born  14 Jul 1795, perhaps Ballycranmore.  They emigrated to Leeds, Quebec, Canada where they were given one square mile tract on which to live and improve by opening and farming.

Ballycran More townland SE of Kircubbin village.
https://www.townlands.ie/down/upper-ards/ardkeen/ballycran-more/

Kirkcubbin is in the parish of Inishargy.

Inishargy CP
https://www.townlands.ie/down/inishargy/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 18:32 BST (UK) »
"where they were given one square mile tract on which to live and improve by opening and farming"

Where do you find this kind of information?  I also have ancestors from Kirkubbin who went to Canada [Amherst Island, Ontario] in about 1840.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline plaidgal1355

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 19:00 BST (UK) »
By sheer coincidence.
We had handwritten family notes that gave the town they'd lived in. I searched www.interment.net for their gravestones in the cemeteries there.  Then we took a couple days and drove to see them for ourselves. While walking in to the small cemetery, two people were coming out. They greeted us and asked what family name we had come to find.
We are distant cousins!  They introduced us to another cousin who had large copies of the apportionments in that town!  We were able to see the abutting lots' family names--all names we'd seen intermarried, so more relations.  I asked how could a large family of little means, from Ireland acquire that much land.  She  knew the answer:  Britain was giving those sections to their citizens if they would occupy and improve them.  In order to put a stop to Increased French population in Quebec!
She also took us to the homestead, having lived there for a little while with her grandparents, and now has a good relationship with the current owners.  It was so much more than we had hoped for from our expedition.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 20:54 BST (UK) »
What fabulous good luck.  You don't happen to have any Ennises or McGees in your background, do you?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline plaidgal1355

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 21:17 BST (UK) »
No, none that I have come across.

Offline genealogygurunz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 March 22 04:23 GMT (UK) »
I believe my 3xgt grandfather Hugh Bailey was the son of James Bailie mentioned above but am still trying to prove it.  Hugh was born abt. 1792 in "Newtownards" according to his military records and UK census records and he went to Manchester, England after discharge in 1825.  He was a weaver by trade.  His only son that I know of (my 2xgt grandfather) was named James, and worked as a glass blower which is an industry that I think comes from that area of Ireland.  My mother's DNA connects with other Baillie/Bailie families in County Down, Northern Ireland and Scotland. Would love to hear from anyone related to this family. Thanks, Amy