Author Topic: Eliza Hibbert/Rolton/Green Auckland NZ c 1836 - 1919  (Read 1504 times)

Offline terrisb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Hibbert/Rolton/Green Auckland NZ c 1836 - 1919
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 July 20 07:44 BST (UK) »
No that obituary is really not true in places but she was the step-daughter to David Dalton.  Problem with Obits is that they are written by people left behind who don't always know the proper history.

Interestingly my interest is in George Henry Rolton too, but down the line of his children with Eliza, rather than the children of George and Agnes, or George and Kate, although like you I will also cover those off eventually!

Offline milko49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi ,Regarding Eliza Rolton postings in April 2020 ...This lady is a direct ancestor of mine and equally has been extremely difficult to trace her parents ...What I have verified  -
Eliza Herbert was born in England in circa 1836 to mother Mary Ann Harris and father 'unknown'.
My thoughts are Mary Ann Harris with father John Harris had married a Charles Hewitt in London in 1838 and Eliza Herbert is their child (either born 1836-1838 ).-ie Transcribing errors From Hewitt/Herbert/leggett..
We then have Mary Ann 'Leggett'(father John Harris) marrying Thomas Kennington in London 1840..
The 1841 Census shows Mary Ann Kennington and Thomas Kennington and Eliza Herbert(aged 5) all  living together in Chelsea...
When Thomas Kennington died Mary Ann Kenningtom married David Dalton in Chelsea in 1842...
David Dalton and Mary Ann Dalton had son Henry Dalton born 1843 London and died NZ 1901
David Dalton also had a daughter Amelia Dalton(with wife Sarah Coates) born Madras India in 1831 and died NZ in 1875.
David Dalton ,his wife Mary Ann,Daughter Amelia ,son Henry and Eliza ''Herbert' shown as Dalton all shipped out to NZ on the Minerva in 1849 ..David was a previous Army drum major and came out to NZ as  a Fencible and lived at Howick..
Eliza Dalton ,now reverted to Eliza Herbert and gave birth to George Rolton in Auckland Gaol in 1850 She was only about 14! The father was George Rolton a mariner..
They later married in 1856 she was 20 and he was 28.
They had other children and she left him and went onto marry William Green in 1868..There were children from this union also ...Mary Ann Green died in NZ 1875..
George Rolton(known as Captain) died at Shortland wharf in 1905 from drowning ...He had remarried numerous times and numerous children ...He even fathered a child with his own daughter!!
My connection is down through George Rolton born NZ 1850 that jumped ship in Australia ,changed his name to Walter George Henry Rolton ...even stated on his marriage cert that he was born in USA!!! Clearly he was wanting to distant himself from his father etc...
I have also been able to verify my direct ancestor as Mary Ann Harris as I have had a good DNA match with a NZ Ancestry .com member whose direct ancestor was Henry Dalton !
Happy to share further details on this family and extended ROLTON families in both NZ/AUSTRALIA.
Regards ,Peter..in Melbourne.
Gent/Mason/Freeman Kings Lynn
Rolton UK/NZ/Aust
Peterson Sweden/Aust.
Garth /Williams/Avery Tasmania
Ghent Gloucester/ Aust

Offline milko49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 July 20 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi I posted some of my information on this forum yesterday regarding Eliza and her various surnames .I think you will find it interesting!!
Have since found her birth to Charles and Mary Ann Hewett (Harris) in 1837 London ..She was registered as Mary Ann Elizabeth Hewett..When Charles died Mary Ann Hewett married Thomas Kennington (but her name shown as Mary Ann Leggett)........Mary Ann Kennington and Thomas Kennington and Mary Anns daughter in 1841 census but daughter now shown as Eliza Herbert....
When Thomas died Mary Ann married David Dalton who also ha a daughter Amelia from his marriage to Sarah Coates in Madras India..............
They all sailed to NZ on the Minerva and lived at the Fencibles barracks at Howick....On the voyage Eliza Herbert was using the name Eliza Dalton.....
in 1850 Eliza Dalton had a child in Auckland Gaol ..Father was Capt George Rolton ....The child was given the name George Rolton ...
Eliza Dalton went onto marry Capt George Rolton and have more children with him prior to leaving him and then marrying William Green..
Young George Rolton born 1850 became a seaman and jumped ship in Australia where he changed his 'identity' stating he was born in Philadelphia USA and used the name Walter George Henry Rolton .........I had a lot of difficulty proving him (my direct ancestor) as being part of the NZ Rolton family but looking closely at his wedding cert e 'gave it away' by stating his parents were George Rolton 'Sailmaker' and Eliza Rolton nee Dalton!!!!!......
Also since I have numerous DNA HITS with both NZ and Australian Rolton family members ..
Happy to share more information etc ..
Cheer Peter ..
Gent/Mason/Freeman Kings Lynn
Rolton UK/NZ/Aust
Peterson Sweden/Aust.
Garth /Williams/Avery Tasmania
Ghent Gloucester/ Aust

Offline Krisr1995

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 April 24 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hi you guys probably don't frequent this forum Anymore but Walter George Henry Rolton had a son named David Napoleon Rolton who had a son named David Leonard Rolton known as 'Mick' who had a son Called Edward John Rolton who then had a Daughter [Moderator edit: name deleted to protect personal privacy]. We are from Corowa in New South Wales. It would be great to get into contact with anyone on here regarding the the lineage of Walter and see how far our family has spread because all Roltons in Australia are related

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 April 24 00:42 BST (UK) »
 Hi Krisr1995, and welcome to RootsChat  :)

To protect personal privacy we don't post the names of living or possibly living persons on the forum.

Instead we exchange personal information via the Personal Message (PM) system. If you make another two posts to this topic (just an emoji in each will be sufficient) your PM facility will be activated and you will be able to send and receive PM's.
https://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

I will need to remove the names of your parent, my apologies.

If you have any questions about how to use RootsChat, or anything else, just ask on this topic in the meantime and myself or other members will be able to help you.

Regards,

Spades
Moderator, New Zealand Board
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG