Author Topic: Eliza Seller marriage - 1901-1921  (Read 367 times)

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Eliza Seller marriage - 1901-1921
« on: Monday 27 April 20 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I've got a bit of a mystery - trying to get a proper story down about quite an interesting part of my family (current other post here ... https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=828925.msg6935156#msg6935156)

Anyway, I've been trying to track down a bit more of what happened with the other children of this couple (other than my g-grandmother, Ethel Maud) and found the attached on a death cert for their youngest son, Cecil John Rhodes Seller in 1921, his mother Eliza is listed as Armstrong.

Verbal family history has it that her husband Thomas T left for Australia sometime after 1910 - not 100% sure when, and it seems she might have divorced and remarried (or just remarried) sometime between 1901 when I have her as Eliza Seller on her mother's death notice and 1921 when I have her on her son's.

I've had a look around Legacy for most of today and cannot find a 2nd marriage for her, or any record of her death as Eliza Bennett (maiden name), Seller (first marriage) or Armstrong - possible second marriage anytime, never mind 1923 when she is meant to have died ???

Any more ideas where to look?

Regards,

Patricia
Current Research:
RYAN (Waterford, Ireland), BENNETT (Queenstown, South Africa), SELLER (Australia)

Top Surnames:

PHILLIPS (Stithians, Cornwall)
STANNARD (Long Stratton, Norfolk)
CAVE (Milbourne Port, Somerset)
SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SAUNDERS (Idmiston, Wiltshire)
SADLER (Somerset)
MERCER (Donhead St Andrew, Wiltshire)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)
SPARGO (Stithians, Cornwall)

https://stannardroseza.blogspot.com/

Offline stannarp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Seller marriage - 1901-1921
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 April 20 17:50 BST (UK) »
OK, so I will reply to my own post, a concerted amount of luck and resourcefulness on FamilySearch and I have found her ... and she REALLY did not want to be found:

After Thomas T left for Australia sometime after 1902, Eliza (Bennett) Seller eventually ended up marrying Alexander Williamson Armstrong in Jhb in 1914.

On her marriage certificate she lists herself as Eliza Bleach (mother's first husband's surname, died before she married Eliza's father, Jonathan Bennett) Burns, with an affidavit stating that she was a widow.

She seems to have stuck with the fiction that her maiden name was Bleach until her death in 1923, where she is listed as Eliza Bleach Armstrong.

Eliza Bennett and Thomas T Seller were quite a couple of interesting, resourceful people, I think they will each get a page of their own on my family history website, now if I could only find a photo of Eliza!
Current Research:
RYAN (Waterford, Ireland), BENNETT (Queenstown, South Africa), SELLER (Australia)

Top Surnames:

PHILLIPS (Stithians, Cornwall)
STANNARD (Long Stratton, Norfolk)
CAVE (Milbourne Port, Somerset)
SELLER (Staffordshire)
ROSE (Somerset)
SAUNDERS (Idmiston, Wiltshire)
SADLER (Somerset)
MERCER (Donhead St Andrew, Wiltshire)
VINCENT (Wiltshire)
SPARGO (Stithians, Cornwall)

https://stannardroseza.blogspot.com/