Author Topic: How do I find deaths in Canada Please mid 1900s  (Read 1321 times)

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find deaths in Canada Please mid 1900s
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 May 20 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Wife Nellie (Pickup) Marshall dies in Victoria, BC the 18 Sept. 1962
http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/1239a624-2a45-4fa1-af78-3e692be3f65b

DB

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 May 20 17:48 BST (UK) »
I just cannot believe you have all found these records so very quickly.

My grateful thanks to you all.

The death record for William Marshall is the wrong person though (that may be why I had Vancouver in the back of my mind).

My William Granville Marshall was born on 6th August 1880 in Liversedge. His parents were William Marshall and Martha Jane Broscombe.

However - everyone -- thank you SO very much for amazing help. I am really grateful.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 May 20 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Sandra. With the exact date, found obit for Herbert -- died at Toronto Western Hospital, husband of Marjorie Lowery of 40 Hickson Street; father of four girls (can't post as they may still be living); buried at York Cemetery, Veterans' Plot; employee of CPR Freight department.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 May 20 18:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I didn't catch that the death I posted for William Marshall was for a single man -- just went by the date on the family tree (bad me ... rookie mistake).  When Nellie dies in 1962, she is noted as married, so William must have died after that date.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 May 20 18:36 BST (UK) »
Eileen you beat me to it -- but I'll post this anyway.

Thank you for this additional information about Herbert. I must confess I don't know if he had children.

The death registration certificate for Nellie Marshall kindly found by dbree (I can't believe you can actually get these on line!) -- names her husband as William Granville Marshall. If he had already died - would it normally say 'deceased' on such a registration please?

She died in St Joseph's Hospital, Victoria, B.C. in September 1962. Hence you would imagine William Granville Marshall would be living in that area when he died. Whether that was before or after his wife, depends on whether it would say 'deceased' on Nellie's registration (if he was of course!)
Places of interest;

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 May 20 18:46 BST (UK) »
British Columbia is the odd-man out in having these online.  Always lucky when you have someone that you're looking for living there.  The death of Nellie should have said she was a widow if he was deceased, but that's only as good as the person informing on the death.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 May 20 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Wife Nellie (Pickup) Marshall dies in Victoria, BC the 18 Sept. 1962
http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/1239a624-2a45-4fa1-af78-3e692be3f65b

DB

Good find DB - helps crack the mystery.  :)

Thanks, Sandra. With the exact date, found obit for Herbert -- died at Toronto Western Hospital, husband of Marjorie Lowery of 40 Hickson Street; father of four girls (can't post as they may still be living); buried at York Cemetery, Veterans' Plot; employee of CPR Freight department.

Excellent Eilleen, delighted you found it.

Canada Voters List 1962 - 820 Byng Street Victoria - Nellie Marshall and William G Marshall (retired)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 May 20 19:27 BST (UK) »
I have searched on that great website where Nellie's death registration was found - but William's isn't there (at least I can't find it) -- I just wonder if he moved out of that area after his wife's death - although he was about 10 years older than she was.

However I am thrilled to bits with all that you have found for me.

Incidentally - one of George's married daughters died fairly young and was also buried in the Norway Cemetery. My grandfather's death, her death - and my birth all happened within less than 3 months of each other. Notices were printed in the local paper here in England.
My Mum has cut all 3 out and glued them to the back of a CravenA cigarette packet! I have attached an image of the back of this.

For the daughter's death, because it had said burial at Norway -- I thought this was literally Norway the country for a while.
Places of interest;

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 May 20 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Nice work Sandra and Eileen  :)

There is an obit for Nellie in the Times Colonist newspaper, 19 Sept. 1962 page 14.

It's very smudged, and if I'm reading it correctly, she leaves behind her husband William.

Mrs. Nellie Marshall, age 72, of Byng Street, born in England and resident of Victoria for the past
2 years formerly of Hamilton, Ontario. She leaves loving husband William at the residence, one son
William Reginald of Toronto, Ontario....
https://archive.org/details/dailycolonist19620919/page/n13/mode/2up

DB

Added: This is the obit again on the 21st, much more readable. Page 22
https://archive.org/details/dailycolonist19620921/page/n21/mode/2up