Author Topic: 1930s football positions  (Read 672 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1930s football positions
« on: Tuesday 28 April 20 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I found a team report which my great-grandad features in (Percy Coleman). I’ve never been able to find out what position he was, but as a small bloke I assumed full-back or winger. The players are listed in pairs it seems. Can anyone decipher what positions they were playing?

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1930s football positions
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 01:25 BST (UK) »
Traditionally,  Goalkeeper first, Right Back and Left Back, Right Half, Centre Half, Left Half, Outside Right, Inside Right, Centre Forward, Inside Left, Outside Left.  This would make your guy Left Half now called Left Mid, more defensive than offensive.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 01:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ian! I’ve found a bunch more articles that put him at centre-forward and centre-back as well. Evidently quite a versatile player.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 08:54 BST (UK) »
I come from a footballing family - it's definitely left half!  No. 6.

I used to play left half at hockey - you had to run a lot, which I liked  ;D

Half backs were both defensive and attacking, depending on the play.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 09:20 BST (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***