Author Topic: Diary-Saturday 2nd May  (Read 446 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary-Saturday 2nd May
« on: Saturday 02 May 20 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thought I'd start today's diary thread since I am not only up but organised (kind of) this morning. 

Got up really early and went to Morrisons for the early morning shopping hour although was sluggish so by the time I got going and the girls up and dressed I only got in a bit early.  Was much better than the last time I did my big shop 2 weeks ago.  I have been sticking to wee shop on way home from work since then and picking up bread milk and maybe one or 2 other items.  Was quieter and I was lucky not to have any of those inconsiderate people who feel the need to charge at you when you pause to pick stuff up.

I've never particularly enjoyed food shopping but I really dislike it these days.  It is such a faff these days.  So it's clean trolley handles, do shop while keeping 2m distance, through till and pay, load car, gel hands, mask off and in bag ready for wash, gel hands again, clean phone over, gel hands, drive home, unload car, clean and put away fridge and freezer stuff, wash hands, clothes in wash, have a shower, dry hair, wash and put away rest of shopping, wash hands, clean worktops where shopping has been, clean bags, hang out washing.  Although not bad before 9am on a Saturday.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary-Saturday 2nd May
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 May 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
Good to hear that your shopping was straightforward pharmaT, or as much as it could be with all the faff about. I'm so grateful to my friend who has done that for me, also have my first grocery delivery coming on Monday (yipee!) so it will take the pressure off her a bit, although she says she's happy to do it. Like you, I don't like grocery shopping at the best of times. Well done for getting all that out of the way so early.

I couldn't get to sleep last night, I kept putting the light on and reading for a bit then trying again but it was about 5am and getting light by the time I finally drifted off. I'm surprised I've lasted till this time on so little sleep.

Wasn't feeling in a great mood today, things on my mind. Went for my usual walk and had lunch, exchanged a few texts with my sister then she rang me because it had been apparent that I wasn't feeling too happy. We had a long chat and I was about to go into the garden and sort a few things out when I got a phone call from a friend. She's a very good person to talk to about any worries and we always manage to have a laugh about things so I felt better afterwards. Got some news that my friend who has just had a major operation was doing well, so that made me feel better too.

Finally got out in the garden, the sun came out and was quite hot but I wasn't going to change any clothes at that time of day. Got a few things done, made some pasta sauce that I was going to have with some chicken that I'd found in the freezer but once defrosted I wasn't sure about it so unfortunately it ended up in the bin and I put tuna with the pasta instead.

Ordered a birthday card for a friend, a get well card for my friend who is in hospital for when she gets out, and a thank you card for my friend who has been doing my shopping. Printed cards seem so impersonal but the sentiment is still there. Most of the evening seems to have slipped by. All day I've been thinking it's Sunday and tomorrow I'll be having a real Sunday. Ah well, all the days are the same at the moment.

Stay well folks  :-*
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 20 00:23 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so melancholic Roobarb... I think this being at home all the time is quite a challenge and also living on your own. I admire the fact you go out for a walk every day...

Pharma, I'm sure life isn't easy with the exhausting work you're doing and having your daughters to look after too. I'm sure you'd like nothing more than coming home for a good soak in the bath and a relax to recharge your batteries. Well done for getting all your shopping done and home by 9am!

My daily diary

Today saw the return of the sunshine which brought a smile to my face and a feeling of webeing.

OH had his Zoom chat with his golf buddies but shortened one as we wanted to get out for a walk having been cooped up for the last few days.

It was lovely to get out over the fields in the sunshine with the birds tweeting away. We thought we'd try a different footpath...actually it's a bridle way got so far along and it comes to a stream, as we've had quite a bit of rain it was quite deep and stepping stones were covered and unless we took off our shoes and socks we weren't able to cross so had to turn backand go another way! When we get to the top of the field on the last bit of the walk you virtually have a 360 degree view it's so uplifting to see all the crops in the fields and the views. We felt heaps better when we got home.
Lunch and a sit and a read for me and back to the jigsaw for OH!

Daughter messaged to see if we wanted to Zoom so had a nice chat with them and the boys showed us all the potting on they'd been doing... think they'll be able to open their own veg business with what they've got!
Got dinner ready , just sausage and mash and greens tonight.

6pm and another Zoom with two sets of good friends, lovely to catch up and natter over our drinks and nibbles... we all decided we were missing our families and grandchildren particularly. Nearly two hours later we all decided we were hungry as none of us had eaten!

Quick dinner then I watched the film the Guernsey literary and potato peel society. I read the book and enjoyed it and the film was entertaining too.

This has been the busiest day we've had for weeks... almost forgotten what it was like to have a life! All be it a virtual one!

Off to bed to read... need to get another food delivery slot... it's almost becoming impossible...

Hope everyone is still keeping safe

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 May 20 10:42 BST (UK) »
Viktoria - It has been interesting to read your posts regarding May Day and Empire Day and how these were celebrated events in the past.  I have read  references to 'Empire Day' sometimes when looking through old school logs at Tyne and Wear Archives.  Nothing much seems to happen nowadays to celebrate May Day.  I only have one childhood memory of this  day.  I remember as a young child having read about the superstition that if you washed your face in dew early in the morning on May Day this would give you a lovely complexion.  I remember trying to persuade my Mother to come out in the garden with me so that we could rub our hands over the grass and wipe our faces with the dew.  However, Mam point blank refused saying that the neighbours would think she had "gone barmy" if they saw her out doing such a thing.

Diary

The sun was out in the morning so I went out for some walking exercise.  The sun didn't stay out for long though and the wind made me feel cold. 
I looked through the newspaper whilst having lunch.  There are lots of interesting articles and photos of the first V.E. Day.  Wonderful images and  joy, jubilation and relief is clearly evident on people's faces.  Our local 75th anniversary celebration has been cancelled which is very disappointing but I know this can't be helped.

I didn't do a lot for the rest of the day - responded to emails/caught up with family.  Pottered about.  It feels like a one of those days when it is hard to get motivated to do much.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 May 20 19:20 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I'm pleased to report that I'm feeling more upbeat today.  :)

RTL, you have conjured up such a picture of trying to persuade your mam to wash your faces in the dew, it did make me laugh.  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 May 20 19:28 BST (UK) »
I'm really glad to hear that Roobarb.... it's good to hear you've had a better day.... onwards and upwards...

Weather been dull and dreary today so not much going on,lazy Sunday reading papers.. didn't get out of my dressing gown till early afternoon 😱😱

Catch up with daily report later.
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK