Author Topic: Catharine Salmon baptism  (Read 448 times)

Offline adamjack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Catharine Salmon baptism
« on: Monday 04 May 20 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hello
I'm trying to find the baptism of my ancestor Catharine Salmon who married Charles Pratt on 13 Dec 1750 at St George Chapel, Mayfair, London. Their marriage is in the Clandestine marriage records on Findmypast. Her husband Charles was baptised in Cambridge in 1731/2 and I think Catharine may have also been baptised in Cambridge or Cambridgeshire (all of their children were baptised in Cambridge between 1751 and 1772 as well).

Catharine and Charles' eldest son was named Thomas Salmon Pratt and I believe he was named after Catharine's father, ie. that his name was Thomas Salmon. He was not named after Charles' father as his name was Joseph. If he was not named after Catherine's father then he was probably named after her brother.

Possible siblings of Catharine's that I've found baptisms for are -

Ann Salmon, 10 May 1731, Cambridge, daughter of Thomas and Ann;
Elizabeth Salmon, 25 Mar 1733, St Giles Cambridge, daughter of Thomas and Mary;
Sarah Salmon, 18 Feb 1734 (1733/4 or 1734/5?) Cambridge, daughter of Thomas and Ann;
Charles Salmon, 26 Jun 1737, Cambridge, son of Thomas and Lucy.

A Thomas and Sarah Salmon nee Clarke (married 1 June 1721 Littleport Cambs) also had five children named Elizabeth, Thomas, Mary and Adam (x 2) baptised in Littleport between 1722 and 1734.

Catherine's husband Charles Pratt was buried at Cambridge All Saints on 16 Sep 1782. I have not found a re-marriage or burial for Catharine in Cambridge, but it is possible she was buried elsewhere. One of her daughters, Catherine Pratt married in Benhall, Suffolk and lived there the rest of her life. There is a burial of a Catharine Pratt in Benhall in 1817, so it's possible that Catharine Pratt nee Salmon followed her daughter there (and lived with her daughter and son-in-law or near them) and died there, however the burial transcription on Findmypast lists her age as 49, which is way too young. I'm wondering if it has been mistranscribed and the age was recorded as 89, which would make her birth year circa 1728 which fits in with her marriage year and when her youngest child was baptised. I'm going to post a message on the Suffolk lookup board to ask if anyone can check the entry in the Benhall burial register.

Any help or advice in finding Catharine's baptism would be much appreciated. I hope everyone is coping with the current difficult times as best as possible. Thank you, :-) adamjack

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catharine Salmon baptism
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 May 20 15:22 BST (UK) »
I cannot find any baptisms in Cambridge but I did find one 20 miles away, there are others elswhere but not with father Thomas.

Catherine Frances Lucy Salmon
Baptism Date:   6 Jan 1731
Baptism Place:   Northill,Bedford,England
Father:   Thomas Salmon
Mother:   Mary

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline adamjack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Catharine Salmon baptism
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 May 20 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin
I had also found that baptism, what put me off that one is the middle names Frances Lucy - they are not listed on Catherine's marriage or any of her children's baptisms. I guess it's possible she just didn't use those names. Perhaps she and her parents moved from Bedfordshire to Cambridge at some point before she married, possibly within two years of her baptism as the Elizabeth Salmon baptised in Cambridge in 1733 daughter of Thomas and Mary may be another child of the same couple (they also may be the same couple who had a daughter Judith Salmon baptised 1 Oct 1738 in Cambridge). I see this couple had sons Owen and Samuel baptised in 1727 in Northill (the transcription for Owen's baptism says 25 June and for Samuel it says 27 June. Owen was buried 27 Aug 1727).
Thank you for your help, adamjack