Author Topic: James Laws - died in Howden, 1913  (Read 435 times)

Offline nwallop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Laws - died in Howden, 1913
« on: Thursday 07 May 20 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm researching James Laws, who died in Howden on 25 Nov 1913, and who was buried in the town. Whilst I can trace his life after his 1868 marriage to Sarah Elizabeth Joy, I can't find any details prior to that.

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to access the Howden burial records to see if there is a date of birth listed for James, or any record of a gravestone that might give it? (I think, sometime in 1843). That way, I can sift through birth certificates to find the real James.

Other details I know... he was born in Norwich, according to multiple censuses. His wedding certificate says his father's name was Thomas, who was a plumber. There are no apparent details of James in either the 1851 or 1861 censuses, and beyond knowing his father's name, I can't find any details of his parents.

Any help that you can give me, or advice you can offer, would be very gratefully received.
Many thanks in advance!
Jim

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Laws - died in Howden, 1913
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 May 20 18:04 BST (UK) »
There was a James Lawes born M Q, 1842, Norwich, MMN Hayden. Sarah Hayden m William Laws 1823.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 May 20 18:08 BST (UK) »
Any clues in his marriage witnesses
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 May 20 18:08 BST (UK) »
His actual birthdate will not be on his burial record - just his age at death.

2 possibilities for his absence from census records

He was illegitimate and his mother then married and he is on earlier census entries under her married name

He was not born as Laws but his mother married a Laws (not necessarily a Thomas Laws) and he took his stepfathers surname

Many illegitimate children made up a fathers name when they married so as to appear "respectable"  Thomas may be fictitious
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 May 20 18:47 BST (UK) »
Was there an obituary in the local paper when he died some give more details than others.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 May 20 21:21 BST (UK) »
The Howden burial register is available on FindMyPast, it just gives his name, age 70, and burial date 28/11/1913
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk