Author Topic: Trees on Ancestry (updating)  (Read 595 times)

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trees on Ancestry (updating)
« on: Friday 08 May 20 10:07 BST (UK) »
This has probably been asked before - I've looked but couldn't find an explanation so apologies...

I keep my full family history in a PC based software package. I recently had my DNA tested at Ancestry and exported a pruned GEDCOM to link to on Ancestry DNA. Matches are coming in and I'm updating my own PC based tree not the Ancestry version as I don't want to double the effort. But what happens now if I re-export my tree as an updated GEDCOM and overwrite the tree I have on Ancestry?

David

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trees on Ancestry (updating)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 May 20 12:03 BST (UK) »
Not quite sure what you are asking.

You will have an updated tree on Ancestry.  If you mean re your dna matches well you will need to reattach your dna to the updated tree.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 May 20 13:19 BST (UK) »
You may be missing out on a lot of the automated analysis functions on AncestryDNA if you are just connecting your DNA result to a pruned tree. Common ancestors and ThruLines will work much better if you use a full tree.
Every time you replace your pruned tree with a new gedcom you will lose any tags you have added to profiles and also any links you have made using the new funtion to link a match to a new profile in the tree. Remember to reconnect your DNA result to you in your new tree. Everything will start to recalculate from there so it will take a couple of days before common ancestors, etc come back again. Putting in a new tree will have no impact on colour coding or notes that you have added to your match list.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 May 20 15:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Craclyn - that's precisely what I needed to know.
David